MB Air- setting up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Book Pro, IMac Yosemite OS 10.10.5
I'm getting my new Air 2015 version with El Capitan delivered Monday. Been 8 years since I got a computer. What do I do when I plug her in? Will it walk me thru the set up? I don't remember. When I go my IMac, I don't remember it being difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm getting my new Air 2015 version with El Capitan delivered Monday. Been 8 years since I got a computer. What do I do when I plug her in? Will it walk me thru the set up? I don't remember. When I go my IMac, I don't remember it being difficult.

Hello - plenty of guidance on the web - for starters, take a look HERE - read through each step and make sure you have what may be needed, such as passwords, and also how many of the 'cloud' options your may want to setup immediately or wait? Plus, a decision will need to be made regarding migration from another machine, i.e. are you planning to start out from scratch or do you need to transfer apps/data? Finally, Sierra is the most recent macOS, so you'll need to consider upgrading or not? Should get you started, but if you have further questions, then please post. Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My advice would be to upgrade immediately (before you get to used to El Capitan) but you don't have to do that until after the initial setup. As the default settings for the App Sore will probably inform you that a New Operating System is available so long as you have the time (it's about 5Gb) and a good internet connection you can just go ahead and follow the prompts.

You will need to choose an Administrator User Password for this so pick something memorable like a short phrase with upper and lower case letters and at least one number like "IlikeMY2Dogs" and it is a good idea (I think) to allow reset of password using your Apple ID option. It makes things much easier in the long run and poses no risks.
A WORD OF WARNING: Do not be tempted to Encrypt your Macintosh HD using File Vault (unless you are working for the CIA or FBI) it causes more problems than it solves and is totally unnecessary for the average person.
Having said that the link posted by RadDave pretty much explains it all.
Congratulations on your new purchase, don't hesitate to return here if you have any questions.

M

MacInWin

If you want to migrate data from an older system, take advantage of that at the FIRST boot, when it offers. That way your Mac will have an account on it with that data in it and you will be able to get to it immediately. If you say "no" and create your own account, migration later is a bit more tricky. It can be done, but takes more steps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.