Photos Version 2 does not delete uploaded photos.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) - Photos version 2.

Before uploading photos from my camera SD card (in computer card slot) into Photos, I tick the "Delete photos after upload" but it never does, I always have to go into the card from Desktop to do this before ejecting it. Is there something I need to do to activate this function? It used to work OK with iPhoto and I'm sure it did when I first went up to Photo.

Also Photos keeps freezing during normal photo editing and I have to exit/re-start or even sometimes do a hards reset on my MBP.

Another issue I'm having with Photos is that it doesn't auto start when I plug my camera SD card into the slot on the computer. It always used to?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi, nice to see you again.

Taking your questions in random order:

When you attach your camera to your Mac and open Photos, right at the top of the screen on the left, you will see your camera name and adjacent to it, a box "Open Photos for this Device". Check it and Photos will always open when that camera is attached.

You need to do this for each device you attach, e.g., iPhone, another camera etc.

The "Delete photos after upload" best works with a camera attachment rather than using the camera'a SD card - don't know why.

But if I may offer a small piece of advice? It's always best to import your photos first, then detach the card or camera and reformat the card from within the camera. This is because that way you know your card and camera are "in sympathy" and reformatting is way better than repeatedly deleting the photos from the card or camera using the Photos app - avoids card corruption.

As to why your Photos app is freezing or otherwise playing up, I'm less sure; but things I'd do or look for:

Enough free space on your HDD.

Enough RAM (you can check RAM usage when using Photos via Activity Monitor > Memory).

Finally, you could Hold down Option and Command together, then Click on the Photos app. This will initiate a repair of your Photos Library.

Hope this might help a bit.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks IWT, all most helpful.
And yes, I always format the card when I return it to the camera so, as you say, why bother with the delete thing!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.