Using Apple TV to play DirecTV from iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
I have a shop in my backyard that does not have satellite TV because they won't install it because of a grounding issue. Won't get into that. Anyway, I do have WIFI capability in the shop from my home network. I'm thinking I can use the DirecTV App on my iPad to send the signal to the TV via Apple TV hooked up to the TV in the shop. Want to make sure this will work before spending the money on ATV.

If this will work, which Generation would I need. Don't really have a need for Siri on the Gen 4, so if Gen 3 will work, that would save some cash.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Depending on the DirecTV equipment you have, you could stream live content and even download recordings from your DVR (requires Genie HR54). The screen mirroring from your iPad to the Apple TV device in the shop would allow you to display the content on the TV that the ATV is connected to.

What is it that they won't install out there? A sat receiver box? What isn't grounded correctly? Get them to provision you a wireless Genie Mini and move it out to your shop at your convenience (have them set it up on a set inside the house).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
If it will work, you should be able to get by with ATV 3.

The only reason it wouldn't work is if DirecTV is capable of preventing AirPlay sending the signal to the ATV.

I just tried this using the native Videos app on my iPhone. Works with no problem. However, attempting to use the Flixster video app over AirPlay does not work. The video plays on my phone but will not play on my AppleTV. In fact, it appears to lock it up. I was half expecting problems with Flixster. Playing movies on the Mac version is fine on the built in display, but attempting to move the window in which the video is playing to my second display results in an error message "Unauthorized display" or some such.

Sorry to be noncommittal but it really depends on the developer of the app.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it will work, you should be able to get by with ATV 3.

The only reason it wouldn't work is if DirecTV is capable of preventing AirPlay sending the signal to the ATV.

I just tried this using the native Videos app on my iPhone. Works with no problem. However, attempting to use the Flixster video app over AirPlay does not work. The video plays on my phone but will not play on my AppleTV. In fact, it appears to lock it up. I was half expecting problems with Flixster. Playing movies on the Mac version is fine on the built in display, but attempting to move the window in which the video is playing to my second display results in an error message "Unauthorized display" or some such.

Sorry to be noncommittal but it really depends on the developer of the app.

I may just visit the Apple store with my iPad and see if they will let me try it there.

Depending on the DirecTV equipment you have, you could stream live content and even download recordings from your DVR (requires Genie HR54). The screen mirroring from your iPad to the Apple TV device in the shop would allow you to display the content on the TV that the ATV is connected to.

What is it that they won't install out there? A sat receiver box? What isn't grounded correctly? Get them to provision you a wireless Genie Mini and move it out to your shop at your convenience (have them set it up on a set inside the house).

Getting the Genie right now is not economically feasible right now, they want a lot of money to convert my system at this time.

DirecTV would not install a dish out there because of their grounding requirement. Dish must be grounded to the house's main ground point. That point is at the house and not the shop. When you run power from the house to an out building, you also have to run a ground wire that is grounded at the main panel in the house. This way, everything is on a common ground and you won't have what's called a floating ground, which is against the Wiring Code.

The installer also said they couldn't just use a separate sound for just the dish and the shop. They used to be able to do this, but when AT&T bought them out, they instigated very strict rules. He told me that they actually had to submit a picture of all new dish installations showing the ground.

With our current plan with DTV, we can upgrade a piece of equipment every two years at no cost and we still have a year to go. Will go with the Genie at that time and go with a wireless receiver in the shop.

Hope this all made sense. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the Gen 4 Apple TV unit today (they didn't have a Gen 3). Sorry to say that even though the DirecTV APP will play through it, the picture is lousy and is jerky as all get out, even with a very strong WIFI signal. Thought about returning it, but after downloading some station apps like Netflix, AMC, etc, decided I'd just go ahead and keep it. The TV I put in the shop is a new LED TV, but it's not a Smart TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I personally don't see the attraction of an Apple TV. Unless you specifically need it to mirror your iOS devices to, it doesn't seem to offer anything that you can't otherwise do with either a BluRay w/ apps or by building yourself a Kodi box or similar. I have a few Sony BDP-X350 / BDP-S3700 BluRay players that run Android and have apps built in. Got them for $40 or less and they add all of the functionality to my TVs that I need.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally don't see the attraction of an Apple TV. Unless you specifically need it to mirror your iOS devices to, it doesn't seem to offer anything that you can't otherwise do with either a BluRay w/ apps or by building yourself a Kodi box or similar. I have a few Sony BDP-X350 / BDP-S3700 BluRay players that run Android and have apps built in. Got them for $40 or less and they add all of the functionality to my TVs that I need.

The more I think about it, I'm coming to the same conclusion. Anyway, I'll give it a day or two and then decide.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I reset the Apple TV module and returned it for a refund. Bought the unit at Target and wasn't sure if they'd take it back or charge a restocking fee. They took it back with no problems. Just going to use the Apps that I have on the BlueRay player until I can get DirecTV updated to the Genie. I'll use a wireless receiver out in the shop.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.