• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

why does everyone hate mac!?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i guess thats the end of this thread as everyone is trailing off the response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
That's not the reason the thread is coming to an end....

David Hassellhoff is the reason this thread is coming to an end...

F

Fallooza

surfwax95 said:
That's not the reason the thread is coming to an end....

David Hassellhoff is the reason this thread is coming to an end...
..... or maybe its just the beginning? or the middle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
oh surfwax 1 image per profile ;) fix that im lazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
ok - dont worry about any more posts unless you want to -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fallooza said:
..... or maybe its just the beginning? or the middle?

Alright, then I see your Hasselhoff GIF and raise you one Hasselhoff JPEG!

david-hasselhoff-img_2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
You guys have me hurting I am laughing so hard. I personally can't stand the guy but what can I say, we are both huge in Germany.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I've got a funny story for you;

I'm trying to persuade the corporation I'm working for to drop an old IBM legacy bug tracking system in favour of Bugzilla and having no luck with logical arguments, financial arguments and even "hey look it's pretty" arguments I decided the only way forward was to just do it anyway on a machine I owned and then demo it to everyone who would listen.

Anyhow the only machine that I could spare was my iBook but as I knew the final installation would probably be on a Linux server I figured it was best to demo it that way so I ditched OS X and installed Ubuntu (it is terrific btw).

So after a few days of hacking Bugzilla on my uBook to act like the old system I was ready to demo it, everyone loved it ... "Wow it's web-based" ... "Cool I can cut and paste data into it" ... "Hey we can link between bugs" etc etc. Finally one of the managers instructs the IT guys to help me out with some hardware for a server that we can attach to our Intranet for further evaluation:

IT dude: "Oh no we can't have a Mac on our system!"

Me: "But it's running Ubuntu Linux!"

IT dude: "But it is still a Mac!"

Me: <looking around> "Am I on Candid Camera or something?"

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Did you recommend that they fire the supposed "IT" guy? What an idiot, he should be flipping burgers with his online degree, not working for a corporation.

K

Kokopelli

There are considerations though, especially servers. I like Macs, I really do. But for support it is another OS and vendor we have to account for.

All the servers in my office have 7x24x4 support. You quite simply can not get that kind of service from Apple. That rules them out right there. (X-Servers may have better options than consumer models, but honestly not as good as Dell or IBM.)

So I would not be so hard on the IT guy, there may be reason there.

P.S. Been working the ropes with Ubuntu for the last 4 days and I must say I am impressed. As a 10 year Slackware veteran it is a shift, but none of the tools seem to get in the way of setting configurations as God intended (with a text editor) so it may just work out. Software install (apt-get) and automatic updates are the major points for me. I would recommend Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06) for anyone starting out in Linux.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Kokopelli said:
There are considerations though, especially servers. I like Macs, I really do. But for support it is another OS and vendor we have to account for.

All the servers in my office have 7x24x4 support. You quite simply can not get that kind of service from Apple. That rules them out right there. (X-Servers may have better options than consumer models, but honestly not as good as Dell or IBM.)

So I would not be so hard on the IT guy, there may be reason there.

I wouldn't have been as bothered if I hadn't actually asked them for a Gateway PC (we have tons of them sitting around doing nothing) OR a Blade server (of which we have several spare) but he couldn't get past the fact that my demo was seemingly running on a Mac therefore it must be bad in some way.

That was around 4 weeks ago btw, since then I have found 2 more 'customers' for whom a customized Bugzilla set up would solve their problems but as yet there is still no way past the IT jobs-worths.

Their latest objection is that "As it is open-source it must be insecure", I tried three tacts with this one:

1) 70% of the internet servers in the world are Apache based including many international banks, Apache is open-source.

2) NASA use Bugzilla!

3) "See that product we make over there, you know the one that we sell to customers for safety critical Air Traffic Control systems? Well we install Linux on it, Linux is open-source!"

So far no joy, I even had the most senior IT guy try to use the "not a mainstream application argument" as a reason we couldn't use Apache or MySQL! These guys are real live neanderthals!

Oh another favourite argument they came out with is that "you can't use open-source software if you make money with it", to this I countered that maybe they should tell Amazon, Google and Ebay that!

Amen-Moses

R

Ryosuke

wow, this topic vasted off and went to some other topic fast... ima stay on and comment about the orig thing..

Not everyone hates mac but most are just afraid to experiment. Most people i know just dont want to leave windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Most people that I have talked to said that they are just so used to Windows that they do not want to go on a limb for 1500 or so to try something different, when they might not even like it. I'm so glad that I walked over to the Mac section of CompUSA, that one day a few months ago, as I will never look over at the Windows section again.

K

Kokopelli

Amen-Moses said:
I wouldn't have been as bothered if I hadn't actually asked them for a Gateway PC (we have tons of them sitting around doing nothing) OR a Blade server (of which we have several spare) but he couldn't get past the fact that my demo was seemingly running on a Mac therefore it must be bad in some way.

That was around 4 weeks ago btw, since then I have found 2 more 'customers' for whom a customized Bugzilla set up would solve their problems but as yet there is still no way past the IT jobs-worths.

Their latest objection is that "As it is open-source it must be insecure", I tried three tacts with this one:

1) 70% of the internet servers in the world are Apache based including many international banks, Apache is open-source.

2) NASA use Bugzilla!

3) "See that product we make over there, you know the one that we sell to customers for safety critical Air Traffic Control systems? Well we install Linux on it, Linux is open-source!"

So far no joy, I even had the most senior IT guy try to use the "not a mainstream application argument" as a reason we couldn't use Apache or MySQL! These guys are real live neanderthals!

Oh another favourite argument they came out with is that "you can't use open-source software if you make money with it", to this I countered that maybe they should tell Amazon, Google and Ebay that!

Amen-Moses

OK now that has more to be frustrated with. :) Luckily for me I am the one who makes these decisions in my company. I just have to get funding approval and pass any third party software I want to integrate with our products (not use internally) through legal. I can't think of the last time I ever had to argue on anything other than a funding basis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.