How to reverse the direction of trackpad + mousewheel scrolling - Windows on Bootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you are accustomed to the Apple "Natural" scrolling on macOS and have installed Win 10 via Boot Camp you like me might be a bit frustrated by the reversed direction of the trackpad and mouse wheel. I found this simple program to enable you to reverse the direction of these actions so that the Apple natural scrolling directions are duplicated in Win 10. http://magnumingenium.com/default/index.html?ReversingVerticalScrollonWindows.html

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most folks can't stand (including me) the natural scrolling direction that Apple implemented with Yosemite. But I guess there's always someone who likes it..... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Changed mine straight away. Nothing natural about it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Changed mine straight away. Nothing natural about it.

LOL, I'm with you on that! We did have another fellow in our forums (no longer with us) who also liked the "natural" scrolling feature. I guess now we have one more. ;D

Just joshing you Rod. If you like it that way, go for it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Most folks can't stand (including me) the natural scrolling direction that Apple implemented with Yosemite. But I guess there's always someone who likes it..... :p

+1.

But I think you'll find Apple started shoving their Apple "Natural" scrolling at us beginning with OS X Lion if I'm not mistaken. Along with a lot of other horrible "features" and a gosh awful OS.

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Aw, c'mon guys it took me ages to learn the "Natural" scrolling method and I think Patrick is right it started long befor Yosemite. Now that it's instinctive, especially for games I'm not about to change again now.
It raises an interesting question though. How many users do not use "Natural" scrolling? Or is it just ex windows users and the fact that Apple unlike MS offers an easy inversion option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aw, c'mon guys it took me ages to learn the "Natural" scrolling method

Bottom line — I think Apple blew it by labeling the scrolling direction as "Natural", but at least we have a choice and it seems to affect old time Mac users more than others I suspect. But actually for both heavy Mac and iDevice users it probably makes sense.

This article seems to have some interesting points, but I'd say it's up to the user and I sure know of some old Mac users who upgraded didn't even know they had a choice and just scrolled the way their scrolling setting was set to. Apple seems to set the default direction to "natural" and many just figured that was the "correct" way.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-scrolling-direction-on-mac-2260835

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think of the trackpad on my MBP the same way I think of the screen on my iPhone; push is up, pull is down. But, some will say pulling down gets you to the top and pushing up gets you to the bottom so pushing is down and pulling is up. Confusing right? I'm just satisfied if the window moves in the same direction as my finger. If that action is replicated on the scroll wheel of my mouse I call that "natural". When it comes to playing Quake in Windows I just got tired of shooting myself in the foot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When it comes to playing Quake in Windows I just got tired of shooting myself in the foot.

What does the scrolling action have to do with shooting yourself in the foot? Quake and Doom both play very well with a standard mouse, scroll wheel not required. And in case you didn't realize it, both games have been ported to the Mac - not the new versions, but the old versions - and work great. I used to dual boot to Windows when I had my 21.5" iMac just to play Doom but now I play it on my 27" iMac right from Sierra. It's called "GZDoom". There is also a version for Quake. You need to try it instead of messing with Windows.

Here's the LINK to the Doomworld forums which include links to Quake and downloads, setup instruction for the Mac.

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When it comes to playing Quake in Windows I just got tired of shooting myself in the foot.

I thought that was funny and Rod was just being funny to make a point. But I wouldn't know as I never play such games and never have and probably never will.

I also keep forgetting that some people may actually use the Apple scrollwheel less mouse. Shudder!!! :Oops:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of the mentioned games above are vintage 1990s Windows shooter type games. Rod and I are from the old school and can still remember playing them in Windows and in the case of Doom, from MS DOS. I know you "young fellows" don't go that far back...... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know who you're calling "young fellows", but this 75 year older just started with Macs in the 1990's with a Macintosh LC after being forced to use some DOS things at work.

And the Macintosh LC even had a color monitor and then we did get and have some pong type games to play. They were fun. But no scroll-wheel mouse!!! I believe someone in charge at Apple at the time didn't agree with using them, or two buttons either. Such complication stuff to confuse the user. :\

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, the Mac LC, great machine. I think it's Nick that may still have one in his Mac collection. Unfortunately, my work with the US government did not include anything Mac. In those days, everything was either IBM or Compaq. With IBM big Iron (360-50, 1410, etc) mostly used for large networks and even as a NORAD computer. Later on before I retired, the IBM and Compaq computers were replaced by Dell machines.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the scrolling action have to do with shooting yourself in the foot? Quake and Doom both play very well with a standard mouse, scroll wheel not required.

I am a mouse and keyboard user for these games so I control movement with the mouse. To look up in Mac OS I pull the mouse back towards me and to look down, the opposite. So to find myself looking at the ground when trying to defend myself from a target above took concentration and was not my reflexive action.
As for titles of Quake available for Mac OSX either via a "shell" like GZDoom there are still many titles like "The Offering", Elder Scrolls; Daggerfall and Erena just to mention a few that are not available on Mac OSX. Beleive me I have played all the rest. Not to mention the Marathon series via AlephOne.
I have been a little limited due to slow connections so have never been able to capitalise on Valve or Steam but I do prefer stand alone Solo missions so I have done OK. Halo ll is another example of a great game never really ported to Mac OSX which is now available to me to own. I have found GOG to be a good resource of DRM free games https://www.gog.com/ at reasonable prices.

Reaction score
when Lion was announced there was an app called Scrollreverser. It still works.
Us it if you still do not want "natural" scroll direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it's redundant (not needed) since natural scrolling can be turned off in System Preferences. Let's end this useless on and on about natural scrolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.