• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces 17" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Very cool, although I am still much happy with my 15" and have no regrets. Not that I could have affored the 17" anyway haha.

L

Left Face Down

Very nice, now just give me a 13.3" MBP and I'll be happy. Recently buying a 13" laptop, I don't see the need to go any bigger. It's the perfect size...

Reaction score
Great i think i might Get one.

But one thing that sux is the screen resolution.
You can get a Dell Centrino Duo with res of 1920x1200.

I cant understand why they dont offer this on the 17" Mac book Pro even if you have to pay more.

I still will probably get one anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Haha I like how the front page says "Just $2799." Yeah, "Just" if you're Bill Gates lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Hey, I just noticed it has a Firewire 800 port in addition to the Firewire 400 port...

Reaction score
Yer it is a bit pricey.

Esp. when u can get a same spec PC Laptop with higher Res. Screen for much less.

This is why I think you will never see Mac OSX on other PC's (appart from Pirate)
If you want to use MAc OSX you will have to pay for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
macreamer said:
Yer it is a bit pricey.

Esp. when u can get a same spec PC Laptop with higher Res. Screen for much less.

This is why I think you will never see Mac OSX on other PC's (appart from Pirate)

Yeah but I also haven't seen a 6.8-pound, 1" thick 17" notebook anywhere...my bro's 17" PC laptop weights like 8 or 10 pounds and is like 1.5" inches thick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
macreamer said:
Yer it is a bit pricey.

The bigger question is when did Apple ever compete on price? That's not what it's about so comparing a Mac laptop to a PC laptop is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
schweb said:
The bigger question is when did Apple ever compete on price? That's not what it's about so comparing a Mac laptop to a PC laptop is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Well, we kind of can compare Apples to Apples now that Macs are Intel-based and can boot Windows :D I'd like to see other manufacturers come up with a 17" laptop with as many features, good lucks, and thinness as Apple's offering tho ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
But thats the thing! No other manufacutrer has come close to copying apple's designs. Anybody remember the Sony Viaro desktop that was meant to be like the G5/intel iMac it was aweful and looked nothing like it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i think this is a great laptop, but i think it is a bit pricey.

and you can't compare pc's to macs even if they do run windows and even if they hve the same processors.

chris tm

Reaction score
schweb said:

Yes this is so very true... Until Macs started using identical PC Hardware.
Now you can compare them because they are the exact same thing hardware wise.
I think also now Apple supports Boot camp and are trying to pitch their product for people that use Windows. I think that is more reason to compare them.

You could never compare a PPC Mac and an x86 PC.
Well that's my opinion anyway.

If I could get Mac OSX on a PC Note book Same spec as a Mac book Pro (if not better) That is allot cheaper I would do so.
If there was only a $100 or so difference I would buy the Apple.

That’s just me. I’m that much into the shallow superficial aesthetics of a computer as long as it’s not a big fat ugly brick. I can handle something that looks ok, especially if it will save me $500.

Why I got a Mac is I liked Mac OSX and i needed to use some Apple Programs.
I did not buy a Mac because I though it looked cool. (even though it does look cool and sexy) In the end its just a Computer to get your work done.

Are you people in here trying to tell me you can't compare a Mac and a PC now because the Mac looks better or is designed better?

Tha makes no sense? Surely the only reason you could not compare them is that the Apple runs OSX.

For the record I think a Purple Falcon northwest is the best looking Laptop I have seen. For what its worth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
On price. No other manufacturer Is producing a machine to match the specs, form factor and performance for the MBP, this is been proven with PC benchmark software. Name one other machine that can do ALL that the MBP can do, in the same, better or comparable form factor at that price. I Dare you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
macreamer said:
Are you people in here trying to tell me you can't compare a Mac and a PC now because the Mac looks better or is designed better?

The cost goes to design just as much as the components and operating system do. Jobs would release a G5 laptop mostly because getting it cool enough in the sleek housing wasn't going to happen. They didn't want to compromise quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I like it, but I have a 15.4" MBP and have no regrets.

Reaction score
IronMac said:
On price. No other manufacturer Is producing a machine to match the specs, form factor and performance for the MBP, this is been proven with PC benchmark software. Name one other machine that can do ALL that the MBP can do, in the same, better or comparable form factor at that price. I Dare you.

Like I am going to go through the Trillions of PC laptop Manufactures to find that out.
If there is not one out there thats is not as good as or better in that regard.
There most certainly will be one in the very near future that is even better.
There are laptop PC's that have better higher Res Screens have longer life Batteries, have the superior Nvidia Graphics card. So thats not a bad start. (yes im looking at other Laptops and will get a 17" Mac book Pro because its the only choice i have to use Mac OSX).

I have seen bench marks where the PC Laptop has been better then the same spec MBP. (although same spec, there is nothing in it)

The only thing I am worried about is so far the MBP have been a little dodgy to say the least.

That concerns me as i have read nothing bad of the Centrino Duo Laptops, they seem to be bullet proof.

Lets hope the 17" MBP have most the bugs ironed out.
With my student discount the price is looking a little better anyway... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Weather the price is high or not, people will still pay for the great computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
macreamer said:
Like I am going to go through the Trillions of PC laptop Manufactures to find that out.
If there is not one out there thats is not as good as or better in that regard.
There most certainly will be one in the very near future that is even better.
There are laptop PC's that have better higher Res Screens have longer life Batteries, have the superior Nvidia Graphics card. So thats not a bad start. (yes im looking at other Laptops and will get a 17" Mac book Pro because its the only choice i have to use Mac OSX).

I have seen bench marks where the PC Laptop has been better then the same spec MBP. (although same spec, there is nothing in it)

The only thing I am worried about is so far the MBP have been a little dodgy to say the least.

That concerns me as i have read nothing bad of the Centrino Duo Laptops, they seem to be bullet proof.

Lets hope the 17" MBP have most the bugs ironed out.
With my student discount the price is looking a little better anyway... :)

If it was out there you wouldn't have to look far. Every PC fanboy from here to Timbuktu would be waving it in the collective face of every Apple user.
Okay I'm just gonna say it the MBP is pound for pound the best notebook on the market. Just think about it. Sure you can have a notebook with a higher res screen, I even heard there is a 19 in out there somewhere. Sure you can have a notebook with 2 HDD's. Sure you can have a notebook with more than 2GB of RAM or faster RAM. You can have one with an 'iSight.' You can have one with TV capability. There are dozens of PC laptops that can boast some of those features. None of them have:

The 2.16 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness;
2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;
1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2GB;
120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)optical drive;
PCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory;
DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately);
built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Display;
built-in iSight video camera;
Gigabit Ethernet port;
built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
three USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 port;
one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
Scrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
the infrared Apple Remote;
68 watt hour lithium polymer battery; and
85 watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

In a package 1 inch thick under 7 lbs. clad in aluminum not plastic. That runs quiet enough to be used in professional audio environment Hmm, what else, theres that nice software package, the Unix undercarriage. A first class OS with a new one on the way next year. Hardware and software integration not seen anywhere else industry wide. Now you can boot 3 operating systems. Can't be beaten.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.