Labels from a Microsoft XL worksheet

Reaction score
In Windows creating labels from an XL worksheet is possible via mail merge. As yet I have fond no-one who can tell me how to go about this on a Mac. It is possible to create labels from Contacts but that is not what I am after. I need to be able to take an XL worksheet and create labels from that. Such worksheets are not entities that I want in my contacts.
Johnge

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Tell us which version of Microsoft Office you're using. All I can tell you for now is that MS Office mail merge works the same way on a Mac as it does in Windows, however, I'm not an Excel user so I can't give you the particulars. Someone else who uses Excel may be able to assist.

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Tell us which version of Microsoft Office you're using. All I can tell you for now is that MS Office mail merge works the same way on a Mac as it does in Windows, however, I'm not an Excel user so I can't give you the particulars. Someone else who uses Excel may be able to assist.

I am using word for Mac version 15.28. I do not have excel on my Mac. I used to be a PC user and thought that when I switched to a Mac it would come with all the necessary software - but I have learnt! I have had to purchase Word and Powerpoint but am nit in the mood to pay yet more money for excel. I presume and hope that Numbers will be able to open a downloaded excel file with the data on it that is to be formed into labels.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it strange that you purchased Word and PP separately? Why didn't you purchase Mac Office 2016 Home and Student version which comes with Word, PP, Excel, and OneNote? I've seen it advertised discounted on many web sites including Amazon. And why would you think that a Mac would come with Office? A new Mac does come pre-loaded with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, all capable of opening and editing Office documents.

Yes, Numbers can open and edit Excel files, however, Numbers is rather limited in what it can do with Excel files. I do not know whether Numbers can do a mail merge and form the data to labels.

Edit: I just opened Numbers and looked for Mail Merge. Unless I've missed something, Numbers does not do Mail Merge and labels.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
I find it strange that you purchased Word and PP separately? Why didn't you purchase Mac Office 2016 Home and Student version which comes with Word, PP, Excel, and OneNote? I've seen it advertised discounted on many web sites including Amazon. And why would you think that a Mac would come with Office? A new Mac does come pre-loaded with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, all capable of opening and editing Office documents.

Yes, Numbers can open and edit Excel files, however, Numbers is rather limited in what it can do with Excel files. I do not know whether Numbers can do a mail merge and form the data to labels.

Edit: I just opened Numbers and looked for Mail Merge. Unless I've missed something, Numbers does not do Mail Merge and labels.

Thank you.
You misunderstand me. I thought that the software that came with a Mac could communicate effectively with others - it can but it is a hassle - hence the purchase of Word and Powerpoint. I was fully aware that it did not come with MS office. Re purchase - I am not a student and my purchases were limited to what was necessary at the time. None of this addresses the issue.
The issue is if you have data in a worksheet can you print it out as labels? You can with MS office.
So far I think the answer is not with Pages and Numbers.

M

MacInWin

As chscag said, and as Apple says, Pages can print addresses from Contacts. That's it. Not from Excel, not from Numbers. But there may be a way to get what you want. Create a new user (System Preferences/Users & Groups). Copy your spreadsheet to the Shared folder. (Open Finder, click on the Macintosh HD icon, then Users and finally Shared and put the file there.) Now log out of your account and into the new one you created. You can now use Finder to go to Shared and retrieve the spreadsheet. Export to a CSV file and then import it to Contacts in that new user (You may have to do some research on how to do that, but Contacts CAN import CSV files.) Now open Pages and do the mail merge as you want to print the labels. Once done, you can select all the contacts and delete them, or if you think you'll be reusing them, leave them there. If you have multiple lists, you can create a group for each list and print from the groups. Once done printing, log out of that user and log back into your account. Your Contacts list will NOT have the lists you imported to that other user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.