No More Airport Extreme or Time Capsule.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can understand (but not necessarily agree with) Apple discontinuing the storage portion of Time Capsules. Since this would put more emphasis on technologies like iCloud. And I can see (but not necessarily agree with) Apple discontinuing Airport products...since there are lots & lots of other manufacturers producing wireless routers & such.

Our real loss (IMO) is the ease of use, ease of setup, and best compatibility possible with Apple devices like this...compared to other manufacturers devices which are almost never REALLY designed with Apple users in mind. Many of us know how non-Apple peripheral devices (many times) come with a setup CD/DVD that does not include setup for Apple devices. And of course no Apple computers sold in 2016 even have an optical drive.;)

All I know is...I love my Apple Time Capsule (wireless router & wireless backup all in one)!:)

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, Agree completely. I am not at all shocked on the backup drive part as they are like you said, trying to push Cloud backup, but everyone needs a way to connect to the net and their routers are so easy and friendly with Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
This is one bit of streamlining that is most unwelcome.

Can't imagine why Apple would think it's a good idea.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Like you guys I get the decision but wish it were otherwise. I've been trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a new Time Capsule but couldn't justify the extra cost. Maybe some of my Texas buddies could part with a bit of that oil money?:Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Like you guys I get the decision but wish it were otherwise. I've been trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a new Time Capsule but couldn't justify the extra cost. Maybe some of my Texas buddies could part with a bit of that oil money?:Mischievous:

Doubt it. I live in the Texas of the north (Alberta) and there's no money here either.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping maybe Charlie had a part interest in that recent find in West Texas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, I wish. The big thing around here is all the natural gas wells that have sprung up everywhere. This part of Texas is loaded with gas! (Al right Sly, I know what you're thinking.) :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, I wish. The big thing around here is all the natural gas wells that have sprung up everywhere. This part of Texas is loaded with gas! (Al right Sly, I know what you're thinking.) :)
ROTFL

Cutting back a bit on the beans now and then will take care of that problem. :Mischievous:I'm sure you're not responsible for that at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Should Apple actually be considering this, it could be the new technology in USB adapters may make wireless cards redundant. TP-Link have just launched one such adapter to work with the new Archer modem-router.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wasn't an Apple announcement. It came from Bloomberg. Haven't seen anything from Apple on it so far.

Rarely if ever, that something like this from Bloomberg is wrong. But yes, I too would like to see an official announcement from Apple (however, I'm not holding my breath). What was also interesting in that Bloomberg article was that they mentioned Apple has abandoned their external monitor business in addition to the wireless routers. That is evidenced by Apple pushing and selling (currently on sale) the LG 5K Apple-like monitor with USB C ports. BTW, I would love to have one but still a little too rich for me especially at this time of year. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a new Time Capsule but couldn't justify the extra cost.

You know me...I purchase everything used.:) I purchased my current Time Capsule (used) about 3-4 years ago (it's the older "flat/pancake" design). If the HD in this TM would ever fail...I will just replace it. If the WiFi in it ever fails or the WiFi protocol becomes too slow/obsolete...then I'm purchase (used) the most current TM model (the mini-tower shape). I figure I should be able to get at least another 5 years or more out of these two designs. Hopefully by that time...WiFi/networking options will have evolved to something better!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, I for one will not be happy if they quit making or updating Time Capsules. I have three of them. One at home and two at work. I use the two at work to back up the four macs. In another post I just used one to do a migration after reinstalling Sierra which worked perfectly.

I love my TCs at work. They provide a faster wireless connection. We recently had a week long revive event which required fast and reliable connections for our outside vendors. I have the two time Capsules on different SSIDs and passwords. I hooked up the vendors to the Time Capsules and had zero complaints from them. Sometimes my EnGenius access points, which handle guest wirless connections, will get overloaded and drop a device (why does everyone think their phone needs to have a wireless connection at all times????) My Time Capsules never drop a connection so I put all our sign in computers and donation kiosks on them.

Needless to say I find something that simply works and now it is up to potentially get discontinued. Figures. :Smirk:

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Needless to say I find something that simply works and now it is up to potentially get discontinued. Figures. :Smirk:

Lisa
Wait a minute. That's been my exclusive gig since I bought my first Apple product a couple of decades ago. Don't ruin it for me now.:Mischievous: BTW if you want Apple to reduce the price of a product or release a new product. I got that covered. Someone sends me the money to purchase the product and as soon as I do Apple will release a new one with more features. Lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.