Reputation Comments - Improvement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Personally, I couldn't care less about how many "Reputation Points" I accumulate. I do appreciate, however, knowing when someone has found a post that I've made useful in some way as it helps me to understand what "hits home" with folks for my own future reference.

The current notification system leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) and I'm wondering if at least a small improvement could be made.

I can understand leaving anonymity for the person that's providing the comment, but could the notice be changed to show the exact post that was singled out instead of just the thread? Even when someone puts in comments, I don't always understand what post it's in reference to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your comments.

We have tried in the past to further define and explain the reputation system. Unfortunately, most folks do not read our rules regarding the reputation system before making their comments. I agree with everything you pointed out. When I make a reputation comment, I let the person know what the comment refers to and who gave them the rep. Nick and I will try to look over our current guidelines regarding the reputation system and see if we can make some changes.

Again, thanks for your comments.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally, I couldn't care less about how many "Reputation Points" I accumulate. I do appreciate, however, knowing when someone has found a post that I've made useful in some way as it helps me to understand what "hits home" with folks for my own future reference.

The current notification system leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) and I'm wondering if at least a small improvement could be made.

I can understand leaving anonymity for the person that's providing the comment, but could the notice be changed to show the exact post that was singled out instead of just the thread? Even when someone puts in comments, I don't always understand what post it's in reference to.

The feature that is desired is already in place. If the red text above each reputation comment is clicked on..it will navigate you directly to the exact thread & exact post that is being given positive or negative reputation.

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
I tried to add to a person's reputation earlier today and got the message that said I needed to spread reputation around before leaving it again for this person (somewhat to that effect). I don't post a lot of questions, but when I do and someone really nails my problem/question down, I'd like to give them credit for helping.

If you guys could look into possibly changing this, it would be appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes I find the same thing, just because a person provide two helpful suggestions in a row shouldn't prevent me from giving reputation points to the same person twice in a row.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your comment. We are currently looking into making the rep system easier to use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to add to a person's reputation earlier today and got the message that said I needed to spread reputation around before leaving it again for this person (somewhat to that effect). I don't post a lot of questions, but when I do and someone really nails my problem/question down, I'd like to give them credit for helping.

If you guys could look into possibly changing this, it would be appreciated.

Yes I find the same thing, just because a person provide two helpful suggestions in a row shouldn't prevent me from giving reputation points to the same person twice in a row.

This is a feature built into the website to prevent abuse of the reputation system. Reputation needs to be "spread around" before someone can give the same member reputation again.

Here's a "sticky thread" posted in the "News and Community Announcements" area that provides some additional details regarding the reputation system:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/68770-reputation-system-faq.html

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I agree with most of what's been posted. I try to use rep systems as much as possible, because I know that quite a bit of research can go into what seems like a simple answer.

However, I've been guilty of not leaving too much info, believing wrongly that the rep points were more important than the comments. In future, I'll address this fault.

I prefer the rep system used here over the simple "like" system employed by other forums. It seems that, used properly, it's a much more powerful tool.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have to agree Kevin. Any indication that a post is helpful is a good thing. The best comments though are those that give some hint as to why the post in question is helpful.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
On every occasion when I've used the reputation system, I've said why, emphasising any particular points of special merit, mentioned the recipient by name and signed my name at the end. So, it needn't be anonymous.

I think the point Ember was making in the first post is that if it's a longish thread and one gets rep points, the comments section might just say "thanks" or "helpful" and you don't know who thought which of your several posts in the thread was the "helpful" one.

That said, I think it works pretty well; and like others here, I'm just as chuffed to have someone post "nice idea" as I am getting points.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And how does one navigate BACK to the reputation points area to review the ones that have been given?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And how does one navigate BACK to the reputation points area to review the ones that have been given?

"Back" button or "previous page" button on the browser works great.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

I don't believe you can see all the points you have given, but you can see all the reputation related stuff you've received by clicking on the Settings link on the top right of the page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, coming in late to this thread, but I have a few comments: 1) those who claim that they don't care about the 'reputation system' and post are likely wanting to be acknowledged - just my feeling; 2) the restriction of not being able to give a 'reputation' to a member is too long - i.e. this should be shorten in some fashion; and 3) many posters seem to be 'unaware' of the reputation system and have no idea on how to enhance one's contribution - this needs to be addressed; I don't know how but just saying - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

We have no control over the length of time that has to expire before being able to give someone rep points. That is pre-programmed into the rep system. Newcomers to our forums are encouraged to read through the "Sticky" posts and guidelines so that they may be become familiar with how forums are run. Unfortunately, most newcomers join to ask a question or get their problem resolved and are not interested in anything else. It's the regular folks like yourself who have joined and stay around to offer help and advice that read the Stickies and guidelines. For which the staff thanks you for your participation. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, coming in late to this thread, but I have a few comments: 1) those who claim that they don't care about the 'reputation system' and post are likely wanting to be acknowledged - just my feeling; 2) the restriction of not being able to give a 'reputation' to a member is too long - i.e. this should be shorten in some fashion; and 3) many posters seem to be 'unaware' of the reputation system and have no idea on how to enhance one's contribution - this needs to be addressed; I don't know how but just saying - Dave :)

For me, chiming in on a thread is about helping someone else as much as it is possibly learning new stuff myself. I honestly couldn't care less about earning "points" or whatever, but I do take an interest in understanding the problem and whether or not I was able to help solve it. This learning cycle helps me help myself down the road, and I can also tell other folks with a similar problem "Here's something that I know helped some folks out..." if I get the feedback that I was able to help in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.