mac AIM

Reaction score
i dont know how many of you have experience with mac aim since i know iChat is the thing to use but...

i tried to use iChat but it would never be able to connect, so i abandoned that since there was AIM for mac there to save the day. but AIM will randomly shut down from time to time. and half of the time when it restarts it has removes all of my settings which is a real pain. so if anyone had some knowledge on that, or a peachy non iChat alternative, t'would be spectacular.

thankethst you.

D

dynetk

I've been using Adium instead of iChat. I haven't tried AIM yet but I haven't used an AOL based client in a while. They've always been bloated/buggy for me. I've been mainly using Gaim before I switched. Here's the webpage for Adium.

http://www.adiumx.com

Reaction score
Adium is great, though you should'nt abandon iChat. It might've been a temporary server issue. Keep trying because iChat is a beatiful program and I can't use it because I'm mostly MSN.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
You could always try fire, I've never used it but I've never heard anything bad about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
*seconds Adium*

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had one problems with iChat ever connecting with the server with all my AIM accounts. Adium is nice if you do more than aim and have friends on Yahoo, MSN or ICQ, but for straight AIM usage iChat is great. Something is wrong on your end somewhere. I have set up iChat for many people and it's always worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
I've never talked to a person who said they had too many troubles with Adium, and didn't like it. I always found iChat a bit chunky.

Reaction score
I downloaded AIM on my MBP this weekend. Never lost a connection, but I did experience the settings being lost after I closed and re-opened the program. I'll have to check that out again.

Reaction score
Yeah, I use Adium. I like it a lot more than iChat, because the icon flashes the name of the person who sent the IM when you get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Are you using Airport/Wireless internet?

Because I do and my connection isn't very strong most of the time and if the connection drops for just a second I know it will log off and I will have to log back on. No big deal I guess.

Reaction score
i dont like macaim.. its always dropping connections.. went to ichat. like it..
but i found adium.. also do use yahoo messenger. do luv adium.

Reaction score
I downloaded Adium last night and I love it! So many options, so much more than what MacAIM came with and its so easy to use. I love how it integrates every instant messenger program that is out there and the add-ins are unbelievable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use aMSN. i like it and prefer it to adium because i can see people webcams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
My brother and I both have Intel iMacs and experience the same problem of AIM crashing when you go to use the scroll button in any of the IM's. It is more common with more than one IM open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
Adium is awesome, I love it. It has tabbed windows which is very useful. However, don't abandon iChat completely. Adium has trouble sending and receiving files sometimes, so when that happens, I just use iChat for transfers

N

ncooper15

I like adium for most of my daily messaging, but still use iChat for the video capabilities. I would love it if I could use yahoo, and msn with ichat, but for now adium will have to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I don't particularly care for iChat but I'm stuck with it now because for some reason Adium refuses to accept my AIM screen name password. It's a massive bummer. Adium was awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.