Time Machine stops backing up on its own, but can be backed up manually - solution

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I thought I'd post this in case others encountered the same difficulty.

My main iMac runs El Capitan (full details below avatar).

I have two Time Machines (TM) which Backup (BU) alternately on the hour. For no reason I could explain, they stopped doing this. I could BU manually, but not automatically. I also noticed that the TM icon in the menu bar went from white to a dark colour. It could have been red, but I use Dark Mode and defining a dark colour against a dark background..............

I rebooted the iMac. No change.

To cut to the solution: Opened TM preferences, switched off TM and deselected both EHDs. Rebooted iMac. Opened TM, re-selected both EHDs, switched TM slider to On. All working normally.

It's not rocket science, I know; but a simple solution to a problem which others might face in the future.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the tip Ian!:)

I have a Time Capsule...and if this happend to me...it would be pretty frustrating. As you said...nice simple solution. Like many things...only seems simple after we know the solution. Sometimes it takes hours & hours to find the "simple solution" (which you found).:) Hopefully this particular solution didn't take hours & hours.;)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
In other words...
Did you try turning it off then on again?
:p

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In other words...
Did you try turning it off then on again?
:p

Yes, Craig; several times, before I did the other bit.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.