How to extract ressource out of an app and assign it back after modifications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27" 4GB 1 TB Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Hi!

I was wondering if you guys could help me with something... I have an application called Traktor Scratch Pro that I use for play on my gigs... traktor-scratch-pro-2.png

This is an image of traktor..

I want to change this image of a record that spins everytime I am playing for a customized image that I create....:

I can do this for windows version of traktor but I want to do it for mac os version...I know that I have to extract an image from traktor.app or the rsrc file and make my modifications than reassign it back to the app...but I don't know how to do it....

anyone knows how to do it?

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you asked about a resource editor in another post?
I don't think that would apply here. Try this:

Make a backup of your application (just in case)
Right-click on the app and select "show Package Contents"
Open folders until you find one called "Resources"
In that one or in one in there called "English.lproj" there might be a bunch of images
Check them to see if one (or several probably) is the image you want
Keeping the files EXACTLY the same size, replace one with yours
Run the app and see if it works (remember, you DO have a backup right?)
If they're there, the reason there is so many is the app displays them like a gif file to create animation - the record turning

If you don't see any image files it might be in the nib file and you're screwed. Nib editors don't work like they used to and you cant change anything.

Edit: And that's not even touching upon the legalities of doing this. Might want to check the Terms for the app.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'm not mistaken, you asked about a resource editor in another post?
I don't think that would apply here. Try this:

Make a backup of your application (just in case)
Right-click on the app and select "show Package Contents"
Open folders until you find one called "Resources"
In that one or in one in there called "English.lproj" there might be a bunch of images
Check them to see if one (or several probably) is the image you want
Keeping the files EXACTLY the same size, replace one with yours
Run the app and see if it works (remember, you DO have a backup right?)
If they're there, the reason there is so many is the app displays them like a gif file to create animation - the record turning

If you don't see any image files it might be in the nib file and you're screwed. Nib editors don't work like they used to and you cant change anything.

Edit: And that's not even touching upon the legalities of doing this. Might want to check the Terms for the app.

Hi!

First thank you for your answer but these are the files inside resources folder inside my application.app....

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 23.38.43.jpg

there is no other files like english.lproj...

thank you

Reaction score
As cradom has stated, any image files that the App uses are usually contained in the App's resources folder.
But not all app developers leave their images loose in the resources folder, or one of the many "country.lproj" language folders.
Some but not many put resources in the Application Support folder of the users library, but these are not usually images, most often App data files are stored there.

In the case of your posted App image, the spinning record image is not an image in my view, but looks to me like a graphics programmed effect written into the code.
And the Artist / Album artwork is retreived from the iTunes library Framework, which I've used myself in some App projects for that purpose.

The only images I can see in your App's resources folder, appear to be the App's various icon files.
Which suggest the App does not have any actual image files which it uses other than the iTunes Artwork.

Regards Mark

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As cradom has stated, any image files that the App uses are usually contained in the App's resources folder.
But not all app developers leave their images loose in the resources folder, or one of the many "country.lproj" language folders.
Some but not many put resources in the Application Support folder of the users library, but these are not usually images, most often App data files are stored there.

In the case of your posted App image, the spinning record image is not an image in my view, but looks to me like a graphics programmed effect written into the code.
And the Artist / Album artwork is retreived from the iTunes library Framework, which I've used myself in some App projects for that purpose.

The only images I can see in your App's resources folder, appear to be the App's various icon files.
Which suggest the App does not have any actual image files which it uses other than the iTunes Artwork.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark FX...I was talking to a very smart guy who could make exactly what I wanted to do but after all the explanation I gave to him he told me he wouldn't tell me how to do it...Here it is what I want to do...

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 9.31.23 AM.jpg

He found the images somewhere in the app files and he said he had to write an script to work along another app to extract them...I don't know if it is true

Reaction score
Your man seems to know where the image files are located and how to get at them.
Maybe their hidden in some sort of compressed file somewhere, and he knows how to extract them with a script.

Good to know you achieved what you where after.
Good luck with it.

Regards Mark

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your man seems to know where the image files are located and how to get at them.
Maybe their hidden in some sort of compressed file somewhere, and he knows how to extract them with a script.

Good to know you achieved what you where after.
Good luck with it.

Regards Mark

Thank you ...but I don't know how he did it.He didn't want to tell me..I still don't know how to do it and I am willing to learn...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it up with the developer and see if he is prepared to help, or even wants his app changed.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No , the developers they probably won't help me with this since this is a way to change what they made.If they wanted us to change something they would've made an option inside the app and we didn't need to use hacking tools to change it.But I want to change my traktor and if I don't get it for OS X I will do it for windows and run traktor for windows inside my os x with wine that 's it...

thank you !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.