How to remove the s0.2mdn.net pop up window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Hi,

This window opens daily on my wife's MacBookPro (running 10.11.6) when running Safari and asks for permission to track where the laptop is located. A google search tells me that if she clicks on "allow" she will be flooded with pop up ads. I've tried everything I know to remove it including scanning with the latest version of Malwarebytes. When I look at the Safari/preferences/etensions, there aren't any.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the pop up window. Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks.

Mark

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 1.29.42 PM.png

M

MacInWin

No, I haven't see that, but if you want to block stuff like that, look for Ghostery. Get it from the developer website, not anywhere else. https://www.ghostery.com

Once it's installed, set it to block EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed at the trackers that are on most sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is tracking where you or wife wife go when using the Mac. Click 'Don't Allow' and do as Jake suggested. This will become more and more common. In Europse for instance, trackers must get your authority to track you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Will ghostly remove what is already there?

M

MacInWin

It's GHOSTERY, and no, it doesn't remove anything, it just blocks things like that popup. So if that popup is coming in from a site you visit, Ghostery will stop it from popping up and annoying you. It also blocks trackers and beacons companies use to build a profile of you for targeted advertising.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if I've explained this incorrectly. This window opens up using Safari without regard to the site being visited, so I think it must be on the hard disk. Is this the kind of thing a blocker would detect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No, I haven't see that, but if you want to block stuff like that, look for Ghostery. Get it from the developer website, not anywhere else. https://www.ghostery.com

Once it's installed, set it to block EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed at the trackers that are on most sites.

I'm wondering if I've explained this incorrectly. This window opens up using Safari without regard to the site being visited, so I think it must be on the hard disk. Is this the kind of thing a blocker would detect?

I'll just add that I've had such messages crop up on two Macs and both have Ghostery installed and running with Safari.

I don't ever recall however of that type of message showing up without actually going to some site.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, since it's Safari she has to be at some site, but the message does not appear to be site specific. It will pop up at the first site of the day. It may be some kind of virus but the warning online is NOT to allow it under any circumstances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will find out if it blocks "your" popup when you install it.

The popup window is for the New York Times, so I would say, open Safari Preferences, click on the Privacy tab, click on Manage Website Data, then look for the New York Times entry and delete it, or, if you want, delete them all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.