Contact changes no longer shared between me and my wife

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Our calendars are shared as required but we found that birthdays were not syncing because it seems that our changes in Contacts are no longer being shared. What do I have to do to restore sharing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Are you using the same iCloud account or different iCloud accounts? What devices (and OS versions) are connected to the iCloud account(s)? Can you correlate the change in behavior, even closely, to any particular device or app change?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you and your wife using the same Apple ID? I found that using the same Apple ID for myself and my wife simplified the sharing of contacts, calendars, and iMessages. There are some drawbacks to that, however, since I wind up getting all her call info on my phone as well. Not her calls, but just the info.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shared contacts with different Apple IDs

Are you and your wife using the same Apple ID? I found that using the same Apple ID for myself and my wife simplified the sharing of contacts, calendars, and iMessages. There are some drawbacks to that, however, since I wind up getting all her call info on my phone as well. Not her calls, but just the info.

No we're not. The calendars, apart from birthdays, sync fine because I have specified which ones are to be shared. It seems odd that, although calendars can be shared between us, contacts can't. The main reason for having separate Apple IDs is so that we can pay separately for Apple store purchases.

Would it be possible to keep the same Apple ID for contacts, calendars and iMessages and separate ones for the Apple Store? If so how do I do that?

Re iMessages, how do I specify text message instead of iMessage, which is now the automatic default and can only be changed if an iMessage fails because there is no cellphone signal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Settings -> Messages

Turn of iMessage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Would it be possible to keep the same Apple ID for contacts, calendars and iMessages and separate ones for the Apple Store? If so how do I do that?
You can log in to another Apple ID for each feature you want to share. Mail, Calendars, Contacts, Notes, and Reminders, can all be set up with multiple Apple ID's.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If I do this will we get each other's iCloud e-mails (i.e. those going to our individual iCloud e-mail addresses)? While we're at it do all the e-mail addresses in Contact Groups under 'All iCloud' automatically be held in the iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iCloud sing-in controls mail, contacts, phone logs, etc. It's a LOT of data that gets sync'ed between the devices.

If all you want shared is contacts, set up a shared account somewhere and create that account in the "Mail" section of settings and turn on Contacts only. It could also be used for a shared calendar if you wanted as well (and even the mail, too - up to you). Sharing contact data via iCloud allows a LOT of extra data sharing as well that you might not want or need.

My wife and I have a Google account that's for "us." We both have the account set up under Mail to allow Mail and Calendar sharing. My personal Google account is used for my Contacts. I do not use iCloud for Calendar or Contacts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.