Pages is a pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I have all my addresses in my Documents. When I call them up pages opens with the message there is a update available with the new OXS. I do not want to upgrade to sierra, I have El Capitan. I cant do any thing with out this coming up every time I want to open up any document.

If I upgrade to Sierra my Photoshop and Lightroom will not work, most likely my 8 year old Epson printer wont either. I am really upset with Apple that they are forcing me to upgrade. Is there any thing I can do?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ellen, and welcome.

Help me to understand, please.

In your Documents Folder, you have, presumably along with many other things, "all your addresses". Do you mean, name address, phone number etc?

And are these created by the Pages app? If yes to that, then Pages is the default app for viewing them.

But you can continue, for ever if you want, viewing them so without updating to Sierra.

There is a way to turn off the constant reminders about updates. Can't recall how right now, but will post back on that.

Last point, just my curiosity, are all these names/addresses perhaps not better placed in Contacts? Just a thought.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Yes Ian all addresses were created in pages. Also the problem is that I have to force quit pages as it does not let me close it down or the menus it opens up.I created these addresses over five years ago when I first got my first mac. So I did not know any better.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ellen,

I have a workaround for you till we try to sort out the main problems.

Open Documents. Find a Pages document. Don't open it. Instead, Click once to Highlight. Then from the keyboard, hold down the Command key and, with it held down, depress the "i" key (that's the letter "i" as in island). This is usually described as Cmd + i.

This will open an Information window. About half way down, you will see the words "Open with". You may have to click on the little triangle adjacent to it. This will reveal the Pages app as the default, but underneath will be a short list of other apps that will open your document. Choose "Preview".

Now, just below that, you will see "Change All". Clicking on that tells the Mac to open ALL Pages documents with Preview.

From now on, till you repeat the process to change back, all your Pages documents will be opened by Preview, by default.

This is a short-term solution which avoids Pages app altogether.

Of course, if there were only one or two Pages documents where you got the problem and had to Force Quit, you could just open these with Preview and leave the default as Pages app; but my reading of your post suggests that all your Pages docs cause this problem. Hence, for now, make Preview the default.

By the way, one thing to consider is that 5 years' worth of addresses might amount to a lot of pages and, maybe, just maybe, something might have become corrupted. As you realise, Pages is not really meant to act as an address database.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An even easier way for Ellen to open those Pages documents is to just press the spacebar and they will open with "Quick View". Also, I do not believe that Photoshop or Lightroom will stop working in Sierra. The Epson printer might need an updated driver. Although, I have an older Epson printer which still works with Sierra and I have not had to update drivers.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
The strangest thing, I opened my addresses and they all opened with out that message coming up. I did nothing other that a disk utility first aid thing. Thank you Ian for helping.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
An even easier way for Ellen to open those Pages documents is to just press the spacebar and they will open with "Quick View". Also, I do not believe that Photoshop or Lightroom will stop working in Sierra. The Epson printer might need an updated driver. Although, I have an older Epson printer which still works with Sierra and I have not had to update drivers.

chscag, I was told by our Apple store, Photoshop and Light room will not work with Sierra unless you go with monthly thing. Checking on the net that seems to be right, all kinds of problems. I just bought a new 27"iMac And took the one which had ElCapitan on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.