White vertical lines on iMac screen

Reaction score
Heya,

I got oldie iMac (2009) that seems to be running just fine, appart the white lines runing across the screen verticaly.

What's these? is the screen going bad? the GPU? The machine was running win7 on SSD, so i thought there is bad connection in some of the cables, but after carefull disassembly and reassembly i can say that all the connection were good, and the issue still stays...

Anything i can do for this?

Heres picture of the screen: http://imgur.com/a/LIBSN

Thanks
Carl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It may be the graphics card in your iMac which is going bad. The way to check that out is to attach an external monitor or TV to see if you get those same vertical lines. If the vertical lines appear on the external monitor, then it's likely a graphics card problem. If the external monitor is clear, then it could be the iMac display which is failing. The graphics card in your iMac is replaceable but expensive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have display port to HDMI adapter, but i tried sending video to my TV using Airplay, and the airplay image looks just fine.

Also, for me it looks like the backlight is "burning" trough the picture, causing the white lines. i tried disassemble the iMac and unplugged the backlights converter cables 1 by 1 in order to find if one of them is faulty. Well, they all seemed to work just fine, but i noticed that when one or more of the backlights are out, the lines disappear partly... So i guess its the display it self? Is there any diy fix i could try?

thanks
Carl :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's the display that's causing the white lines, you may as well start saving your $$ for a new or newer iMac. Replacing the display on a 2009 iMac in my opinion is not worth it.

OP
C
Reaction score
thats why i was wondering if there is any diy method to fix it... The image it self if clear and sharp whiteout any disturbs or blurs or misplaced pixels but almost like there should be some sort of "light blocker" behind the screen, and now the backlight has burned its way trough it...

Tho, the unit was free, whit 4gb ram and SSD so spending few buck's to get it running is ok (but spending 400 is a no no) :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.