• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Favorite movies all the time!

Reaction score
Hello mate,

I am much more curious to know about your interest of different movies. What's your favorite movies all the time?

Please let me know. Thanks!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am much more curious to know about your interest of different movies. What's your favorite movies all the time?

Why not start things off and tell us your favorite movie of all time?

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
I like tragedy movie always. And the end of the movie the actor or actress will die.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like tragedy movie always. And the end of the movie the actor or actress will die.

Ok. Tradegy movies is a category or genre of movie/film. Now tell us your favorite tradegy movie or movies of all time...and you will have answered the question you asked at the beginning of the thread.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Favourite movie of all time? Well, that's easy:-

2001: A Space Odyssey.

In 1968, no-one had yet been to the moon, no-one really knew what the Earth looked like from space and somehow Kubrick got it pretty close. The music used in the soundtrack was perfect and nearly 50 years later, the movie still doesn't feel dated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Favourite movie of all time? Well, that's easy:-

2001: A Space Odyssey.

In 1968, no-one had yet been to the moon, no-one really knew what the Earth looked like from space and somehow Kubrick got it pretty close. The music used in the soundtrack was perfect and nearly 50 years later, the movie still doesn't feel dated.

Interesting perspective. Before the moon landings this would have been even more Sci-Fi than it is now.:)

As far as my most favorite movie. Darn...to just pick one will take some VERY serious thought (there are so many).;) It's kind of like saying...if you could have a single movie title etched on your gravestone...what would it be? THAT takes some serious thought!;);)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting perspective. Before the moon landings this would have been even more Sci-Fi than it is now.:)

As far as my most favorite movie. Darn...to just pick one will take some VERY serious thought (there are so many).;) It's kind of like saying...if you could have a single movie title etched on your gravestone...what would it be? THAT takes some serious thought!;);)

- Nick

Let's put it this way, Kubrick and Clarke are no longer with us, and if their gravestones were inscribed with "Creator of 2001" I don't think they would be unhappy.

In 2018, the movie hits its 50th anniversary, and I will be very surprised if MGM don't take advantage of the fact to do a rerun in cinemas. There are other movies which are trotted out repeatedly, such as "Wizard of Oz" and the James Bond saga, but 2001 has a magic all its own. ****, it even invented the iPad Pro. Look at the BBC12 broadcast and tell me what you see. The Space Race was essentially driven by military considerations. 2001 managed to sidestep that, and concentrated on peaceful, collaborative exploration. It sums up what Apollo aspired to but couldn't quite deliver. "For All Mankind."

I've had a lot of time to think this one through. I don't watch the movie endlessly, but I do keep coming back to it. I watch it at least once a year and IF it ever returns to cinema, I'll be there. There are some great movies which stand out for various reasons, but even Kubrick's other masterpieces can't quite match the awesome grandeur of the orbital parking manoeuvres set to The Blue Danube, or the anticlimactic strains of Happy Birthday as Frank Poole hurtles towards Jupiter and his death.

To me, there can never be another movie like it. Hope, ambition, success, tragedy. The movie has them all, as well as a damned good story, masterfully told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
BOY, I cannot really pick a 'favorite' film of all time for me - would have to first look at genres (westerns, musicals, film noir, comedies, sci-fi, etc.) and then narrow down my choices - I own around 1200 videos (about 800 commercial video discs, 60% are blu-rays & 400 or more DVD-Rs that I've burned from the TCM channel, all public domain). My main 'movie posts' are left in a thread in the Good-Music-Guide Forum HERE - I'm SonicMan46 there.

Now there are many 'best films of all times' lists - one being from the American Film Institute - below I've tried to do a Keynote combo of their 100 'best films', most of which I own - must say that in the top ten of that listing, Casablanca & Singin' In the Rain are in my top favorites list. :) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.20.33 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow Dave you need to get back to work my lad! Just too much spare time on your hands. Don't think I have ever seen 100 films. Then again I guess it is forty years since I bothered to go to a cinema!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
For me it has to be Saving Private Ryan.
The battle scenes are amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Wow Dave you need to get back to work my lad! Just too much spare time on your hands. Don't think I have ever seen 100 films. Then again I guess it is forty years since I bothered to go to a cinema!

LOL Harry! :) Well, I'm a videophile, I guess; also a woodworker and enophile (although my wife calls me a 'wino' - ;) ) - now I figure that you & I could do a video binge w/ my collection - let's see, about 2 hrs/movie = 2400 hours; SO, would take us just 100 days (all day of course) to get through this number of films - but in all honesty, I may watch just a couple of films every few days, so many just sit on the shelf - :) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The Legend of Bagger Vance.

I love the depth and complexity of the characters. I love how it shows how people can overcome what seems to be almost insurmountable adversity. There is also the underlying suggestion of who the character of Bagger Vance represents and who sent him to help Junuh.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Nick. Very hard to just list one movie. But I will list one that when I saw it in the theater I was very impressed. I RARELY see movies away from home.

Anyway I will say Star Wars - Return of the Jedi.

There are so many more but that is what I can come up with without my brain hurting! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are so many more but that is what I can come up with without my brain hurting! :D

Great way of describing it Dennis!:)

If I tried to narrow things down to just one movie title...and put some serious thought to it...I could certianly feel a headache coming on!:( I think that I could come up with a list of 5-10 favorites...but just one would be really really tough.

Or maybe another way of doing it. Maybe listing a favorite movie from the last year, last 5 years, last 10 years would be an easier.:) "Moving pictures" have been around for over 100 years. That's a lot of possibilities for a favorite of all time!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Fargo (in fact anything by the Coen Brothers)
The Sixth Sense (missed so many clues first time round by keeping my eyes shut!)
Don't Look Now (missed the first five minutes first time round which is crucial to deciphering the rest)
Blade Runner
Behind the Candelabra
The Third Man

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fargo (in fact anything by the Coen Brothers)
The Sixth Sense (missed so many clues first time round by keeping my eyes shut!)
Don't Look Now (missed the first five minutes first time round which is crucial to deciphering the rest)
Blade Runner
Behind the Candelabra
The Third Man

Blade Runner is a VERY good one! VERY VERY good special effects/atmosphere/realism for a 1982 movie without all of the CGI tools movie-makers have today. Even 36 years later...the effects are very realistic without much if anything looking cheezy, cheap, or fake by 2016 standards!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blade Runner is a VERY good one! VERY VERY good special effects/atmosphere/realism for a 1982 movie without all of the CGI tools movie-makers have today. Even 36 years later...the effects are very realistic without much if anything looking cheezy, cheap, or fake by 2016 standards!:)

- Nick

Tears In Rain. WHAT a scene! And the Vangelis soundtrack is one of the greats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm dreading the sequel.

Reaction score
Easy for me, The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original not the waste of time remake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.