iBook G4 freeze

M

MrJuggles

iBook G4 freeze (now with added problems and rant)

Hi
I hope you can help, my iBook seems to be freezing on my randomly (I only say randomly because I can't see the pattern myself, I'm sure it's not random) It seems to stop completely where ever it is. No cursor response, no keypress response, nothing. It leaves me no choice but to reset it by holding down the power button.
It has even froze twice whilst opening it up at the initial screen, that's what makes me think it's random, it doesn't seem to happen during just one task.
The only strange thing that has happened was yesterday it told me my date and time were wrong and that they might effect the machine. For somme reason they were set to 1972 (the year) something that seemed to have changed it's self.
Any ideas what's occuring. I have just installed a programme called Onyx, to see if I could get it to run those self maintenance programmes that should run at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well the date thing makes it sounds as if you might need to reset your PRAM.

Check my stickied thread at the top of the iBook forum on how to do that, if you want to give it a try.

OP
M

MrJuggles

Aptmunich said:
Well the date thing makes it sounds as if you might need to reset your PRAM.

Check my stickied thread at the top of the iBook forum on how to do that, if you want to give it a try.

Cheers for that Aptmunich. It's actually all gone a little poop over here at the moment leaving me feeling annoyed and frustrated (equally frustrated with my lack of knowledge)
In the my G4 kept freezing repeatedly, I thought if I uploaded all my pertinent data to my .Mac account and reinstalled the whole system (as some other forums seemed to be pointing to) that might resolve it. However it never stayed working long enough to do that so I uploaded file by file up to my PC upstairs. Then when I went for the reinstall I was told that the disk was an earlier version than what was on my computer. I really didn't want to do that as it seemed a little like retroactive action.
When the system restarted again it seemed to have reset it's self, all the personal modifications gone, safari and that Email thing were back on the dock and my Firefox and thunderbird were back in the applications folders. When I started them up they didn’t have all the settings and bookmarks (or Emails and accounts for Thunderbird) that were their origionaly.
So now I'm P****d off. I know that the files and/or information must be somewhere on my computer, but I don't know where to point the programmes, all my Emails are somewhere in the ether and my computer is repeatedly freezing.
I've finally took it back to the shop (it was less than a month old) and left it with them. I can't help but feel a little jaded though, especially when the guy asked me to sign a waiver saying any data lost was not their fault, to which I said if the machine hadn't messed up in the first month I wouldn't have to be putting it in such a vulnerable position in the first place so I can’t take that as my responsibility.
I really was glad I switched, but I think I might have become complacent.
Any Ideas or suggestions on
A) Getting the information back for Firefox & Thunderbird (when it comes back in three weeks)
B) Any good practices to help prevent this happening again, or in case it does
C) Any good sites/books for good practical reading and learning whilst my machine is being fixed so I can improve my knowledge
:eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye:
Ok, deep breaths, rant over. Cheers for listening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well since you say you have .mac, use the Backup program to automatically backup your bookmark and email folders for Firefox & thunderbird respectively.

Next time I would also just restore the machine from the system CD's (It is an earlier version, but you can just download the updates when you've restored everything) and then sync your information back with backup & your .mac account.

I wouldn't try to backup huge amounts of data with .mac though: I just do my settings & preferences, emails & bookmarks. The rest of my data I backup to an external harddrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.