Macintosh Classic II issues booting up?

Reaction score
I've dug up an old Macintosh Classic II from my High School and I had the opportunity to be the first person to turn it on in 20+ years. It worked perfectly fine the first day, the second day its was displaying the vertical bars of doom, but after a few crashes it booted up normally. Now on the 3rd day it's doing the same thing it did yesterday. Bars > Checkerboard > Crash. I've never heard of a Macintosh booting up even with the vertical bars, but some advice on what to do would be helpful, thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first thought is this Classic II may have been stored or placed in a closet or deep dark dusty corner somewhere for the very reason you mentioned. Maybe it "crapped-out" a long time ago...and it was "put to rest" where it was stored.

I purchased a 100% working Classic II for about $15 bucks maybe 3-4 years ago. They may be worth more...they may be worth less on eBay. Sounds to me that it may take a bit too much $$$ to get it working again...if what I'm about to suggest doesn't work.

Since Classic II's are pretty old. The PRAM battery probably died years ago. You could try replacing the PRAM battery...and see if that helps. If not...then post it on Craig's List or eBay as a parts computer (not-working). Or keep it on a shelf somewhere because it's..."So darn cute!";)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
My first thought is this Classic II may have been stored or placed in a closet or deep dark dusty corner somewhere for the very reason you mentioned. Maybe it "crapped-out" a long time ago...and it was "put to rest" where it was stored.

I purchased a 100% working Classic II for about $15 bucks maybe 3-4 years ago. They may be worth more...they may be worth less on eBay. Sounds to me that it may take a bit too much $$$ to get it working again...if what I'm about to suggest doesn't work.

Since Classic II's are pretty old. The PRAM battery probably died years ago. You could try replacing the PRAM battery...and see if that helps. If not...then post it on Craig's List or eBay as a parts computer (not-working). Or keep it on a shelf somewhere because it's..."So darn cute!";)

- Nick

Well, it still works. Only when it wants to work.

I had to turn it on and of about 15 times before it worked. :p
Once I get my Torx screwdriver I'll open it up and give it a good cleaning

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, it still works. Only when it wants to work.

I had to turn it on and of about 15 times before it worked. :p

That's called "not working"/not-working properly!;)

Once I get my Torx screwdriver I'll open it up and give it a good cleaning

You're going to need an extremely long Torx screwdriver with a long extension that fits in the hole (diameter). Most extensions are too large in diameter.

Here's the special tool used to open the original compact Mac's. Probably about 8-10 inches long:

mac_tool1_large.jpg

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.