Connecting to SMB shares as registered user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Up until Sierra, I've had no problems achieving the functionality I desire - Launch Finder, click on the name of a machine that's serving up SMB-based file shares, and I connect to the computer as a registered user (credentials saved in my keychain) and can see the shares that I have access to. Since upgrading to Sierra, Finder now ignores the stored credentials and connects as "Guest" by default, leaving me to click the "Connect as" button and then click through the next dialog where my registered user credentials are stored.

What gives?

I've tried completely removing the credentials and then connecting again, but that hasn't helped.

I've read about some new security "feature" where only the root user can create mounts in /Volumes, but I'm not even at the point where a mount is created - I'm basically authenticating to download the share list. This change is a GIANT pain in the rear for me as I now have to force the authentication every single time I want to connect to a shared drive in Finder.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have noticed a change with my network shares on my mac pro. I had one time I had to click the "connect as". My username was already there so I re-entered my password. It seems to take much longer to connect. My shares are showing up in finder still but they are not mounted until I click "Go" and select it. I use to just click on the name of the SMB share and it would open. That is not happening anymore. Very annoying.

What is really weird is I can get on my Windows 10 computer and select a shared drive on my Mac Pro and it opens immediately. Both are on the same active directory network.

We are probably looking at a future update fix - I hope.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My iMac does not find my NAS Drive since El Capitan. Not tried it with Sierra as it is not supported for that.

Lion used to see the NAS and connect to it automatically. My Windows8 laptop still does :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
There are a LOT of complaints about this, and it seems that Apple might have change some defaults for SMB and we're stuck with it. I've provided feedback to them letting them know that these changes have not increased security (SMB is used on secure networks only, not across the plain Internet) and it has made the ability to get work done LESS efficient. We need a way to override the defaults if they're going to make this default behavior.

I will have to take a trace to see what in the world is actually going on to understand why it's taking so long to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well this SMB issue is driving me crazy! I had several projects in Photoshop today and all of a sudden I don't have write privileges to my server share? I saved okay for two of the projects and then I would not. I checked the server and - nothing - all was good and no errors reported. But I can save to my other work computer's share drive - for now.

Added to this Photoshop CC crashes when I try to print so I have to use Photoshop CS6. And Premiere Pro CC video has a slight stutter almost like a dropped frame but audio is fine and output is fine. Adobe admits they have not got it fully compatible yet.....

I am trying to tough this out for now. The file sharing issues may send me back to El Capitan.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.