• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Support is Terrible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
I have been having ongoing problems with an iMac that is under warranty, I paid for the Apple Protection Plan. Tonight the computer acts up again and I try to log into webchat support and bang !- "Your computers serial number is not recognized by Apple Support, you will have to fax us a copy of your original sales reciept to recieve support"
***??
I have an ongoing case number and have contacted web support at least 6-8 times.
And now they dont know me anymore??
I have been jacked around by idiot tech support jerks everywhere but this takes the cake.
Dude, I shoulda bought a Dell

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not to be a big meenie, but have you ever tried Dell Tech support since they outsourced it to India? I read almost daily on very good PC forums about all the problems with Dell and the Indian based Tech support.

Try contacting Apple directly. You have one of the first iMac G5's and there are known issues and they owe you a repair/replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Tech support from almost any computer company can be hit or miss at times. My experience with Apple to date has been good, but that doesn't mean everyone will have the same results.

M

MJGUK

baggss said:
Tech support from almost any computer company can be hit or miss at times. My experience with Apple to date has been good, but that doesn't mean everyone will have the same results.
Exactly.

But what I will say is that compared to other companies I've used, Apple have always greatly impressed me on this level.
Of course, you'll always have the odd bad experience popping up.
Personally, when that happens to me I just try and remember that it's most likely down to one person having a bad day, rather than a reflection on Apple has a company (although unfortunately it does some what).
Although if this ever does happen, I always make a point of speaking to someone at a reasonably high level in the company, to put that point across and give them the chance to correct their minor failures.

Either way, good luck with your support in the future!

Reaction score
I hate the apple support... My mac, wouldn't start-up, so i called applecare, they said to bring it to the store. i went to the store and the guy at the genis bar( which i had to wait in line for 2 hours for), he said that he couldn't fix it and that i dhould re install. i reinstalled the os and all the programs and it took me 2 weeks cause it was my first time and i didn't know how to do it, i bet the guy at apple could have done it in 2 hours. The worst part is that i pay for apple care. they should re name it, apple (pay for supprt that we dont even give).

Anyway, i did not have a fun experence.

T

tenbellys

dtravis7 said:
Not to be a big meenie, but have you ever tried Dell Tech support since they outsourced it to India? I read almost daily on very good PC forums about all the problems with Dell and the Indian based Tech support.

Try contacting Apple directly. You have one of the first iMac G5's and there are known issues and they owe you a repair/replacement.

i totally agree with you about Dell. They are just pure awfull. I manage 450 of there PDA's . . . there just useless.

anyways. ive only ever needed to use apple support once. and that was for a warranty claim on my ipod earbuds that was solved the same day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT-XTREEM said:
I hate the apple support... My mac, wouldn't start-up, so i called applecare, they said to bring it to the store. i went to the store and the guy at the genis bar( which i had to wait in line for 2 hours for), he said that he couldn't fix it and that i dhould re install. i reinstalled the os and all the programs and it took me 2 weeks cause it was my first time and i didn't know how to do it, i bet the guy at apple could have done it in 2 hours. The worst part is that i pay for apple care. they should re name it, apple (pay for supprt that we dont even give).

Anyway, i did not have a fun experence.

How could you reinstall if the Mac wouldn't start up?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My main problem is that Apple lacks phone support during off peak hours, when you have to admit they're needed most. It seems to me many/most Apple users are home users, I use a windows box at work. I have trouble with my Apple nights and weekends when Im actually using the thing.
And guess what? I only get to chat with someone with a limited grasp of engrish, has no idea what they're talking about, and never seems to be able to help me. Every chat session ends with them telling me to call Apple Care during business hours or take the machine to a repair facility. It is very frustrating.
Thats even if your machine works. I have only one machine at home usually, so if it dont boot, your screwed. And I dont know about the rest of you but with my work schedule I have to be on the freeway by 6:30am to get to work and after I pick the kids up from daycare and get home its usually 6:00pm. I have to call in sick or late just to call Apple Care after I shelled out $300 for the extended warranty and support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT-XTREEM said:
Boot from cd...

Good point. The way he said it I was assuming that the hardware would not even start, but he probably meant the OS wouldn't boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I have found apple support to be ok. Does anyone else feel that AppleCare is really pricey just to extend warranty by 2 years and phone support???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I have yet to purchase AppleCare on any of my purchases from Apple and have yet wish that I did. (Knocks on wood).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
baggss said:
Yes. I have yet to purchase AppleCare on any of my purchases from Apple and have yet wish that I did. (Knocks on wood).

*knocks alongside baggss* :eek:neye:

M

MJGUK

Meh, I think you guys are right and it certainly is expensive!
But to be honest, I've just never wanted to take the risk and if a problem does arise, I've always found Apple very good.

That said, when I end up purchasing my MacBook Pro I do NOT look forward to the £200 odd Applecare on that! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
baggss said:

I, on the other end, have needed it a great deal (glares at iPods). Luckily I have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Dell support

<Not to be a big meenie, but have you ever tried Dell Tech support since they outsourced it to India? I read almost daily on very good PC forums about all the problems with Dell and the Indian based Tech support.>

Dell has a market 100 times bigger and wider than apple, therefore their complaints are higher. Apple's share, which is less than 6%, doesnt have (relatively) as many customers to have as many problems as dell.

I use an Apple at home and Dell at work and I havent had any problems with both whenever I have used tech support. Both apple and dell, ship their empty boxes next day to you when needed repair. They are sent back completely repaired within 2-3 days usually with a very up-to-date repair status on their website

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The nearest Apple Store is 265 miles away.
I have been using a third party Apple Approved Repair Center for my repairs, the local Connecting Point store. They have an "excessive backlog" and have a five day wait period just to look at a machine. When they finally replaced my hard drive, they had my iMac 8 days. Counting all three times Connecting Point has had my machine they've had it a total of 16 days out of the last 65 and the problem has yet to be fixed.
After calling Applecare several times complaining about Connecting Points service, they never once mentioned I could mail it to them. Does anyone think that mailing the computer to Apple could be the end to my woes?
Also, Applecare has come in handy as my hard drive melted down about two weeks after the one year warranty expired.
Haven't ever had a problem with any of my ipods myself. My iMac G5 is the only Apple product I have ever had trouble with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
Mac support isn't the greatest but at least when you call them you get to talk to someone who speaks English.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.