Time for an Apple Watch forum?

OP
M

MacInWin

Nick, the "new posts" option would show any thread that was about the Watch, but I think that if a Watch owner came to the forum and looked at the forum names it's not very clear that there is anywhere to ask a Watch question, or read what others have to say about how things work. For a new visitor, EVERY post is a "new" post! And I'm not sure that putting an area in the Apple TV forum is that good an idea either. The two have almost nothing in common.

The AW2, with watchOS 3.1 is a pretty amazing device and should eventually gain more traction as people who have it talk about it and others begin to consider getting one. Yes, I'm enthusiastic about it because it's new, but it's also really made some changes in how I do business daily on the same order of magnitude the iPhone changed how I thought about cell phones. I remember thinking "Why do I need an iPhone? My flip phone is perfectly good for calls and my Dell Axim is a great PDA. Why would combining them be a better approach? I want to talk AND use my PDA at the same time! How can I do that on an iPhone?" I remember thinking that it must be a mediocre phone and a mediocre PDA to fit in one package. I resisted getting an iPhone for a long time. My first one was a 4s, as I recall. Now I don't know how I put up with carrying two devices like I did before! I think eventually (and pretty soon), I'll wonder why I stuck with a "regular" watch so long when I have this amazing wrist-computer. Those who don't have an  Watch don't know what it's like to use one, so I don't expect anybody who doesn't have one to identify with me.

While I'm not happy with the status quo (and thus started this thread), I well know that it's not my call. I'll keep looking for a website that really does support the Watch and where there is more traffic. One will come along, I'm certain. I just thought maybe this site would want to take the lead. But maybe enough owners will come out of the woodwork to justify the site owners setting one up eventually. Lisa and I now make 2!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, in about 10 years, will there be a carOS forum? When will Apple ship appleOS, the one to rule them all?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
While I'm not happy with the status quo (and thus started this thread), I well know that it's not my call. I'll keep looking for a website that really does support the Watch and where there is more traffic. One will come along, I'm certain. I just thought maybe this site would want to take the lead. But maybe enough owners will come out of the woodwork to justify the site owners setting one up eventually. Lisa and I now make 2!

I think we are dealing with two things Jake:

1. How well a new member with an Apple Watch question is likely to ask an Apple Watch question or find the appropriate area to post an Apple Watch question.
2. As a new Apple Watch owner...Apple Watch questions you personally have.

Regarding #1. Believe me. We gets lots & lots of new members each day/each week. And whether they know that they've posted in the proper area or not...lots of these folks start their post with the statement..."Hey I'm new here. Not sure if I posted in the correct area. Please move if not in the right area." In other words. A new member probably likes Mac-Forums because of the friendly, supportive, respectful, and welcoming environment. Not about if we have a specific Apple Watch sub-forum.

If they have an Apple Watch question...believe me...they will still post it somewhere.;) And we have indicated where that is (the "Other Hardware & Peripherals" section).:)

Regarding #2. Please post your Apple Watch questions!:) So far I have not seen an Apple Watch question from you (at least not recently). I guarantee...if you post an Apple Watch question...and someone has an answer or opinion...they will reply (regardless if we have a separate Apple Watch sub-forum or not).:)

You're covered man!:) Post & ye shall receive!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

@Jake:

Here you go.

Go right to the horse's mouth..... O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'll answer your call, Jake. If there are established members who want a section for specific hardware, I think it's worth providing. It's great if one of those members is also a moderator, but not strictly necessary since the report button is there and members can request that appropriate threads be made sticky etc.

I have no intention of ever buying an Apple Watch but who knows, if I see enough discussion to pique my interest, I might go for it.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

OP
M

MacInWin

Nick, I don't have a question. Having a forum for the Watch seemed logical. If the powers-that-be don't want to do that, that's the end of the discussion. Frankly I was hoping to get some of the lurkers with  Watches to chime in so that perhaps it would happen. I guess not.

This site can lead or follow. The challenge with following is that if you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
As I stated earlier - when I have a question or just want to see what others are saying about the Watch I head to the MacRumors Watch forum where there is a well marked forum category for it. We may not have a large enough number of members on this forum that have a Watch. Maybe we do and a separate forum category for the Watch would bring questions or ideas out. I have no way of assessing that.

One thought - when I look at a new forum, I look at what the different forum categories are and that allows me to drill down to exactly what I am looking for. While the Apple Watch is listed in a note under the Other Hardware and Peripherals section, I am not sure that it is obvious to others. Actually I just noticed it when I went to look at the forum (not sure what that says about my powers of observation..... :| )

I still don't have a strong preference one way or another.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
It's strange. The Apple Watch is supposed to be among the most popular watches in the world, yet I never see anyone wearing one.

On the other hand, Android phones are supposed to be far and away the most popular phones, but nearly everyone I see is using an iPhone.

I almost forget the watch exists until I visit the Apple Store or BestBuy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the powers-that-be don't want to do that, that's the end of the discussion.

This site can lead or follow. The challenge with following is that if you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes. :)

I think these are a couple of pretty harsh statements Jake (smiley or no smiley)! We welcome all suggestions...and take them seriously. Don't think it's necessary to make statements like this because a suggestion is not immediately acted on & implemented.

If we had lots of Apple Watch discussion traffic...we would have created an Apple Watch specific area long ago. You yourself have already admitted that Apple watch specific discussion areas (internet forums) are hard to find. Discussion's are not nonexistent because there is no where for the discussions to take place. There are few Apple Watch discussions because either there are not that many folks that own Apple Watches (compared to iPhone's, iPad's, desktops, and notebooks). Or Apple watches are very easy to use...and very few questions are required.:)

Believe me Jake...if someone has an Apple Watch question...they're going to ask it. For starters...Mac-Forums has PLENTY of existing members who are not shy about asking questions. If they had an Apple watch question...they would post it!:) Not having a dedicated Apple Watch area is not going to stop the majority of folks from posting an Apple Watch question's. If we had lots of Apple watch discussions...and they were spread out amongst the other sub-forum areas. Then it would totally make sense to create an Apple Watch area to organize those discussions.

Many times the main reason to create new sub-forum areas is when there already exists a plethora of discussion's on a single topic spread out amoung the other topic areas....and new discussions on that topic continue to grow. I've already mentioned that I did an analysis of Apple Watch discussions beween June & August 2016...and came up with approximately 5-6 threads. And sometimes those threads were not 100% Apple Watch related. I could extend that analysis period from June to October 2016...and that thread count would not increase much.

We need increased discussion traffic to justify a new forum area.

Please keep the suggestions coming. We welcome them.:)

- Nick

OP
M

MacInWin

Nick, I didn't mean the statements to be harsh. The first was meant to be supportive of the site owners and powers that make the decisions. If they decide not to have a forum, that really is the end. I'm just a visitor here, not an owner or even a worker.

The second was meant to be light, not harsh. Just an observation about how life is.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm done with this topic.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I didn't mean the statements to be harsh. The first was meant to be supportive of the site owners and powers that make the decisions.

The second was meant to be light, not harsh. Just an observation about how life is.

Good deal Jake. As sometimes happens...the intention of post is "lost in the translation" of the text based medium of internet forums.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.