Building a Mac Studio—Book

L

lil

Hello,

...so this is the treat I was murmuring about in another thread about another book I am writing (I like to be busy...)

Anyway this book is going to be all about setting up a Mac based art/print studio be it in the home or on a bigger scale. A small (60-80 page) full colour guide to get you started etc., and I am trying to make the book splendid and beautiful to reflect its very topic.

It will be available at the end of May 2006 (owing to any project slippage), I will make details available nearer the time. It will be on my Cadence imprint; as that is my series for creative focussed topics (Grapevine is for in depth technical stuff, and Itsy-Bitsy for beginner/pocket guides).

You can view a small sample here:

http://www.lilserenity.com/cadence-bams.pdf

The design is not finalised and the Power Mac graphic is not perfected yet for those of you who have/will notice(d) the odd quirk with it. After all, only so much you can do with a few hours work!!

Enjoy! Feedback is always appreciated.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well, I do layouts all day long with InDesign and have to say that it looks really good. My criticisms on the 3 pages available: On page 2, the text on the left is difficult to read even though it is embossed a little. I would recommend sizing down the text on the top left, moving the small blurb to the top-right, and scaling down the PowerMac.

Other than that, though, it looks really good. I like the flowery backgrounds and the text on page 3 is pretty readable. Just pay attention to your negative space and try to keep things balanced and it will look good.

Good luck with the rest of it and keep us posted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Honestly, industrial design affects me a lot. I'm a sucker for good design and it makes me feel better to have a nice-looking computer system on my desk. I think that modern computers are more than fast enough for 99% of the applications out there, so we have more leeway in doing color matching and design stuff. For example:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Take your pick :)

OP
L

lil

surfwax95 said:
Well, I do layouts all day long with InDesign and have to say that it looks really good. My criticisms on the 3 pages available: On page 2, the text on the left is difficult to read even though it is embossed a little. I would recommend sizing down the text on the top left, moving the small blurb to the top-right, and scaling down the PowerMac.
Good luck with the rest of it and keep us posted!

Thanks for the comments—and good advice.

I knew last night that the left hand text on page 2 was hard to read but at 2.30am... :flower: I shall be changing it today, including what you have suggested (I had an inkling to do this anyway)—the result will soon be known!

I shall keep you all posted for sure!

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.