Should I Wait to Buy an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Plus EVERYTHING Apple has increased in price in the UK as of yesterday, even AppleCare which has gone up from £279 to £349.

We should be fair when being fair is possible.:) According to the article linked...the major contributer to the price increase is:

"It’s the latest example of the Brexit effect, with prices updated to account for the new low exchange rate between the US dollar and pound sterling."

Unfotunately it seems politics played a big part in this price adjustment.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Jump in and see if you can get a discounted price as the wait has now been extended to March 2017.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Sterling has lost 20% of its value since Brexit. I recently calculated that the AirPods were underpriced by around £6.50 when compared to the price in other markets.

Also UK prices include 20% sales tax.

If Apple have any sense, they probably adjusted their prices to accommodate a further fall in the value of the currency, somewhere around another 20c by year end. Sterling is in freefall and there's little anyone can do to stop it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think that will be offset by a falling dollar. If the US Fed decides to increase interest rates (and it looks like they might) that will cause a run on Wall Street and a falling dollar across world markets. Oil prices are already down from last week's short increase. Also, the uncertainty about US politics with this coming election is not helping things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Well, I would certainly wait a week or so for the Apple announcements, some predictions HERE - my wife is the main user of our iMac (I'm on 2 laptops over a home network) - her computer is now 3 1/2 years old but still going fine (21.5" monitor - her choice - I'd have pick the 27"; but not a retina screen; 1 TB fusion HD - she does not need that much storage; and 16 GB RAM - had to have added on initial purchase).

Now, I might buy a new one maybe spring of 2017? So, I looked on the Apple website and priced the system shown below - would likely have to stick w/ the 21.5" monitor (but would try to talk her into the larger one) but would get the retina screen; would add the extra RAM for a total of 16 GB; and also change to a 512 GB SSD. You're likely to receive a bunch of advice on this topic, especially picking a high resolution 27" screen. Good luck in your selection! Dave

ADDENDUM: Well 'beat to the punch', as predicted! ;)
View attachment 25197

lmao, Apple u gotta be kidding me, smh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Didn't really want to start a new topic just for my question. Does anyone have an opinion on USB ports on the new (someday) iMacs, i.e., will they be the new ones? Of course I realize no one really knows, but speculation apparently is worth the comment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rumor has it the iMac refresh will occur sometime late Spring. And yes, the ports will likely be USB-C, 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3. Which means you'll probably need to buy several adapters in order to use your older external devices. The SD card slot will probably be gone along with the ethernet connection. However, no one really knows what Apple will do but what I mentioned is a pretty good bet considering that's what Apple has done with its 2016 models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.