Thinking about bootcamp...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Hi everyone. I was looking into building my own PC for some games I'd like to play (which are Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Half life 2, etc.). However, upon Apple's release of bootcamp I see a golden opportunity to use my mac both for games (partition about 40gb of my hd to windows xp for games only) and use OS X for all my productive work, and video stuff. I don't play games much, and having all the graphics up on high doesn't really matter to me. What does matter is the online stuff. For example, the main question I am asking here is when Aspyr released Call of Duty 2 for the mac, will the mac users be able to play against PC users over the internet? If not that would be a major downside... I figure I could counter this by just using bootcamp to put XP on my mac for that stuff.

Question 2: Since bootcamp is only beta software, whats the chance that the games don't play well down the road because of graphics driver updates and stuff that might not work well with the mac graphics card? I know that the graphics driver was a problem with the first hack of XP, but then Apple came in and fixed that problem with bootcamp.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Some comments from people who have tried what I am thinking about doing would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I would either wait for Boot Camp to be checked over, because it is Beta. Since you would be running Windows on a Mac, you just opened many doors to security problems infecting your Hard Drive which could ruin the Hard Drive completely, therefore ruining the Mac Partition. That would not be covered under Apple Care, because it is considered User Damage.

Personally, if you have the money, make a brand new computer with CPU Processing power up the Wazuu. Easily topping 4GHz Dual Core. Now right now, no Mac in the world could beat that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.