Internet speeds

Reaction score
I have a client who are on a Domain controller with mostly windows machines and a couple macs. One user has a iMac running Darwin and I cannot get the internet speeds to reach their 100x10 twc circuit. I have tested on wireless and Ethernet with results best at 45x10. Troubleshooting I have done this far is test it strictly on Ethernet with wireless disabled and wireless without the Ethernet cable plugged in, checked duplex speed which is set to full, closed all applications and programs. I tested speeds using my windows machine on the same Ethernet cable the user uses an get the full 100x10. The other Mac users get the correct speeds but I cannot get this machine to get the full speeds. What else can I try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You are obviously an IT person (as is my son in Indianapolis; I'm a retired academic radiologist, so not a network professional), but your abbreviated 'geek talk' is confusing, plus I'm not sure how much you know about Apple hardware/software (i.e. implying that you're mainly a PC/Windows person) - Darwin is a name given to the Unix based OS Apple is using (as in the Wiki screen capture below) - please be MUCH more specific, i.e. what Mac computer are you concerned about (year/model) and what macOS is installed (current one is Sierra 10.12) - maybe w/ a little more 'specific' information, suggestions or further questions can be posed. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.26.44 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I am more of a windows guy but the user is running 10.12.1 and I believe this is a 2015 model iMac. I don't know the specifics on the year model but the user did say it was about a year old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sorry, yes I am more of a windows guy but the user is running 10.12.1 and I believe this is a 2015 model iMac. I don't know the specifics on the year model but the user did say it was about a year old

Hi again - the current macOS Sierra is just @ 10.12 (not .1) - just some further clarification, I'm assuming that your '100x10 twc circuit' means that your maximum DL is 100 Mbps and UL is 10 Mbps on Time Warner Cable - is that correct? Sorry for the 'simple' questions but just trying to get down the facts accurately so one of our experienced networkers can help - this really goes beyond my expertise - let's see who may respond. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
From what I am understanding, the ethernet connection that the iMac is using has been tested by attaching another PC to the Ethernet cable and the PC got the full 100 down/10 up speeds. Also, there are other macs on this network, connected to other ethernet connections, getting the correct 100/10 speeds. Can I assume you are using the same identical method test the connection speeds?

If so, my thought is to try the iMac on a different ethernet connection. See if anything changes. It might be a bad NIC in the iMac. Just out of curriosity, what speeds does it get using the wireless - or is this even an option? You will not get the same speeds as wireless is bound by interference among other things.

Try another cable connection to see if things change - the iMac might be picky about a potential cable issue. I will keep thinking of other ideas that could be causing issues.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.