• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help Me Decide Please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I'm having a tough time deciding between two laptops. Think in mind, I want to play WoW

Sony Vaio laptop: 3.06 ghz,80 gig,512 ddr, 64 mb radeon graphics, dvd-rw

ibook G4: 1.33ghz, 40 gig, 512 mb, 32 radeon graphics

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
I would go for the vaio if i were you, even though i love macs, that mac wont get you anywhere, Faster, bigger HD, better graphics, and a dvd-rw drive. now if it was a powerbook, that wood be different.

(200th post!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Get a MacBookPro. That would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Okay, so if you now have a chance at getting a Windows system instead of a Mac, then go for it. You want to play games, and Windows machines are superior to Macs in that one respect.
The choice is simple, go for the Vaio since you want a laptop for gaming.

M

MJGUK

Yep, if you want to game.....you talk about WoW specifically, then I'd go for the Vaio.
I mean clearly I'd recommend you a Mac > PC 99.9% of the time....and quite honestly too! But comparing specs between those two machines, specifically for playing WoW I'd say Vaio. Although if you could afford a MacBook Pro that is > ALL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What is the Price difference between the two?

I don't disagree with anything said here so far, but perhaps a MBP would be a good compromise. You know, the best of both worlds sort of thing. I realize that money may be an issue though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
With the MacBookPro, you can just use Boot Camp for gaming. Though since I am not into that stuff I would not dual boot with Windows, because there could be some security issues. Plus Boot Camp is in Beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dimagex20 said:
With the MacBookPro, you can just use Boot Camp for gaming. Though since I am not into that stuff I would not dual boot with Windows, because there could be some security issues. Plus Boot Camp is in Beta.
There are also some graphics drivers issues and driver issues in general with BootCamp. While BootCamp is a good thing, it is still in its infancy and not as reliable as it could be. It is going to take some time to get things sorted out, if they ever really are. I can't see Apple putting too much more into this, as that would require them to offer a wider scope of support for it. Something I can't imagine them really wanting to do.

It would be much better to just get a native Windows PC laptop for gaming at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
What is the actual graphics card of the Vaio?

And if it is a Pentium 4 processor, than I'd be wary. It is a desktop chip in a laptop, so it will run hot and noisy (because of fans) and battery life will be short. Plus, heat can be a problem in P4 laptops (so don't use it on your lap!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
D3v1L80Y said:
There are also some graphics drivers issues and driver issues in general with BootCamp. While BootCamp is a good thing, it is still in its infancy and not as reliable as it could be. It is going to take some time to get things sorted out, if they ever really are. I can't see Apple putting too much more into this, as that would require them to offer a wider scope of support for it. Something I can't imagine them really wanting to do.

It would be much better to just get a native Windows PC laptop for gaming at this point.

I think D3v1L80Y is probably right about this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
y dont you buy a mac book pro and then put windows on it ! - that way you can have the best of both worlds!

i know they havnt quite sorted every problem out yet but they will.

ctm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.