purging itunes music

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been trying to keep my computer free of space....I use my powerbook to import songs, then upload to my ipod, then delete from my powerbook to save space.
After uploading to ipod, I highlight all tunes in itunes library, delete all items and also click yes to delete from library.
But I realized that the songs were all still there in the music folder/itunesmusic folder.
Shouldn't this delete all of these files as well? I guess I just delete these from this file, but is there anywhere else where I might find these music files hidden.
I assumed that after deleting them from the itunes library; they would be totally off my computer; but it does not seem so. I'm just trying to keep my hd as free as possible.
Is there anyway to totally purge my computer of music?
Thx

Reaction score
First of all, once your music is on your iPod and you delete all your music, you will never be able to sync the ipod with your comp again.

Next, whenever you delete a song from the library itunes will ask you if it should move the files to the trash.

And last: Why do you want to keep your hd as free as porssible? Unless you need the space for something else you shouldn't worry about it constraining performance.

OP
W
Reaction score
still not deleting

I follow what you are saying with the move to trash.....but as I mentioned in my post; I click for itunes to move that music file to the trash...and while it removes it from itunes; when I go into my music files; the music files are still there, neatly arranged under the artist and album.
I noticed this when I was running out of space and deleted all of my music from the itunes program and clicking to move all items to the trash; but I had not improved my disk space at all after deleting the trash.
I then looked into my music files, they were still there, and deleted them manually to solve the problem.
And as far as keeping the hd empty...I easily and often fill up my 80GB powerbook drive with the massive photography editing that I do with numerous images, numerous times. I am constantly having to burn everything to DVD's to free up more space. A library full of unnecessary music makes this a bigger hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Now the next time that you sinc your iPod you are going to loose all the songs on your iPod. Why did you delete all the from your Power Booke Book, you could of at least gotten an External Hard Drive. A good one can get as cheap as 50 bucks, holding over 100GB of space. I am going to have to go with yogi on this one.

OP
W
Reaction score
best recomm for portable hd

Not to worry...I have all my music backed up on my desktops.
You mentioned portable hd....I'm looking for just such a thing. I'm looking for a portable HD 80GB min that is pretty tough. I take great care of my goods, but going around the world is a rough job some times; which is what I am gearing for.
Any recommendations on the best place to look or a specific brand hd? I'd like to keep the cost under $150 which is why I jumped when you mentioned $50.
Thanks

dimagex20 said:
Now the next time that you sinc your iPod you are going to loose all the songs on your iPod. Why did you delete all the from your Power Booke Book, you could of at least gotten an External Hard Drive. A good one can get as cheap as 50 bucks, holding over 100GB of space. I am going to have to go with yogi on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
For external Hard drives Check out these Websites:

1. www.epinions.com
2. www.newegg.com

Now personally I would use Epinions, they have Hard Drives from old to new. Plus there are customrer reviews, with hundreds of links for the store with the best deal. NewEgg on the other hand is one website, one store, so you will get reviews, but sometimes it isn't going to be the best deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
yogi said:
First of all, once your music is on your iPod and you delete all your music, you will never be able to sync the ipod with your comp again.

Next, whenever you delete a song from the library itunes will ask you if it should move the files to the trash.

And last: Why do you want to keep your hd as free as porssible? Unless you need the space for something else you shouldn't worry about it constraining performance.
As long as the iPod is set to manual sync (iTunes->Preferences->iPod->Music-> 3rd option) you won't loose any music on the iPod...

This will also let you use it across multiple machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.