Bootcamp Removal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm on a MacBook Air running on version 10.11.6 of OS X El Capitan. I am trying to remove bootcamp from my Mac so that I can get the 20GB of my 120GB.

If I press continue in Boot Camp Assistant, I get a notice that "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."

"The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

What can I do to proceed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Make sure you have a good backup in place. Then get another external drive to clone your OS disk drive to. After you test the clone and are sure everything you need is on there, then, while still booted into the external clone drive, you can erase your internal OS drive. You can open Disk Utility, and erase the internal drive. I'm not sure, but if you select the disk drive, and not the drive partition, it should also remove the Boot Camp partition as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Make sure you have a good backup in place. Then get another external drive to clone your OS disk drive to. After you test the clone and are sure everything you need is on there, then, while still booted into the external clone drive, you can erase your internal OS drive. You can open Disk Utility, and erase the internal drive. I'm not sure, but if you select the disk drive, and not the drive partition, it should also remove the Boot Camp partition as well.

What do you mean by have a good backup? Will I have to backup ALL the files on my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Surely you did that before installing BootCamp? Also all hard drives fail sooner or later, even SSDs so a backup is always vital. For mine I prefer to clone the hard drive to an external usinf SuperDuper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean by have a good backup? Will I have to backup ALL the files on my computer?

He means backup all the files on your OS X partition. Don't worry about what was in the Boot Camp partition as you're removing that anyway. You can backup using Time Machine if you have no other backup program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When BootCamp is installed and you start BootCamp Assistant, it is normal procedure for your Mac to ask if you want to remove BootCamp. No chance you tried to remove with Disk Utility first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.