It makes me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Djin said:
I still like how much cheaper a PC is compared to a Mac and how much easier it is to keep it updated with hardware then a Mac.

That's my biggest pet-peeve, upgrades. If they also had some better graphical hardware too, then I'd be happy.

Cheaper does not always equal better. You can buy a POS Dell for $300, but it's still a POS Dell worth $300. If you are referring to building your own, then you are correct. Mac hardware has, traditionally, not needed to be upgraded nearly as often as PC hardware since games are not a big deal, we don't need the bleeding edge of everything to make them work and they tend to last longer and be more productive than their PC counterparts, even when new software is thrown at them.

Many of the components are upgradable, Hard Drives, RAM and in some cased Graphics cards. There is a whole market for Mac Graphics cards out there, nearly all of them comparable to their PC counterparts. I suspect the CPUs on the Intel macs will be upgradable as were many of the PPC CPUs.

D

Djin

baggss said:
Cheaper does not always equal better. You can buy a POS Dell for $300, but it's still a POS Dell worth $300. If you are referring to building your own, then you are correct. Mac hardware has, traditionally, not needed to be upgraded nearly as often as PC hardware since games are not a big deal, we don't need the bleeding edge of everything to make them work and they tend to last longer and be more productive than their PC counterparts, even when new software is thrown at them.

Many of the components are upgradable, Hard Drives, RAM and in some cased Graphics cards. There is a whole market for Mac Graphics cards out there, nearly all of them comparable to their PC counterparts. I suspect the CPUs on the Intel macs will be upgradable as were many of the PPC CPUs.

I only build my own, never have I bought a POS DELL or Alienware, etc.

You have to understand that there's no real demand on hardware with the Mac as there is with the PC. The PC is always being pushed with games and other things, plus it's like hooking up a car, there's tons of things you want, but half of them are pointless.

Who needs 1GB worth of video RAM and 5GB of system RAM? No one. It's just to extend your e-penis and flash it around, that's all.

If there was a bigger selection of games on the Mac, then I'd be all for it, yeah it's bad to judge a whole computer on games, but that's what I like, even being 26 years old, I like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Djin said:
I only build my own, never have I bought a POS DELL or Alienware, etc.

You have to understand that there's no real demand on hardware with the Mac as there is with the PC. The PC is always being pushed with games and other things, plus it's like hooking up a car, there's tons of things you want, but half of them are pointless.

Who needs 1GB worth of video RAM and 5GB of system RAM? No one. It's just to extend your e-penis and flash it around, that's all.

If there was a bigger selection of games on the Mac, then I'd be all for it, yeah it's bad to judge a whole computer on games, but that's what I like, even being 26 years old, I like them.

The "ton of things you want" applies to some Mac users as well, trust me. While agree that it is the gaming industry that keeps pushing the PC platform, there are a lot for graphic intensive uses for the Mac, but none that require the sheer horsepower that the bleeding edge PC games require. Thing is, most PC users will never become involved in that. It is still a relatively small percentage of the overall PC market that requires that bleeding edge technology. I'm 40 and I play video games, I just use my PS2 or X-Box to play them.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
"To be honest, I don't really care"
Then why did you bring it up?

"Who needs 1GB worth of video RAM and 5GB of system RAM? No one. It's just to extend your e-penis and flash it around, that's all."
You're a dork.

"If there was a bigger selection of games on the Mac"
Well like you said, with Boot Camp, you can run any PC software, including games, on a Mac now.

"it's bad to judge a whole computer on games"
So don't.

"You have to understand that there's no real demand on hardware with the Mac as there is with the PC. The PC is always being pushed with games and other things, plus it's like hooking up a car, there's tons of things you want, but half of them are pointless."
That doesn't even make any sense.

Let's just forget about games for a moment. Consider stuff like visual aesthetics, word processing, connecting to and surfing the internet, organizing/locating files & folders, burning CDs, listening to music, watching DVDs, and general user interface navigation. So BESIDES GAMES, what advantages does Windows have over OS X, in terms of practical, everyday computing?

D

Djin

corysw said:
Let's just forget about games for a moment. Consider stuff like visual aesthetics, word processing, connecting to and surfing the internet, organizing/locating files & folders, burning CDs, listening to music, watching DVDs, and general user interface navigation. So BESIDES GAMES, what advantages does Windows have over OS X, in terms of practical, everyday computing?

Well if you're just going to use a computer to surf the Interweb, listen to music, etc. What's the point of even getting a computer before the year 2000? My cellphone does all this too.

When you use the computer as a regular computer and not a gaming machine, then there's really no difference and it's all personal preference.

I am not trying to get into a pissing contest, flame war or anything else about what's better. I'm just saying if Apple had better support for hardware and games, then I would get one. Saying that, I find it a lot cheaper and just "easier" to use my PC.

I don't have to buy every upgrade like Mac... I just update.

So to be honest, Mac's are nice, PC's are nice, but to each their own. I wouldn't mind seeing a nice Mac with a 7900GTX, but that's just a wish.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"What's the point of even getting a computer before the year 2000?"
It's 2006.

"My cellphone does all this too."
No, you're right. Computers are only for playing FEAR. Typing reports, surfing the internet, and playing DVDs should all be done on a cellphone.

Under your Mac Specs, it says you have a 233MHz iMac G3. Please do not tell me you are basing your opinion of the Macintosh platform on a 6 year old iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Djin said:
I don't have to buy every upgrade like Mac... I just update..

So that upgrade from 98/Me to XP was a freebie from MS? Based on that I can assume you are expecting Vista to be a free update too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
corysw said:
Under your Mac Specs, it says you have a 233MHz iMac G3. Please do not tell me you are basing your opinion of the Macintosh platform on a 6 year old iMac.

I have that very computer - it's from fall 1998. So it's an 8 year old iMac :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
deus_ex_machina said:
I have that very computer - it's from fall 1998. So it's an 8 year old iMac :p

So do I and yes it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

The 233 Imac is not the best with Panther but my Grape 333 with 256Megs RAM is not bad for doing basic stuff. It works quite well and would be even better with 512Megs RAM. It really is not fair though to judge OSX using a Machine that is way out of date. It's like running XP on a 233 PII. It will run but it's not the way to see what XP really can do.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"...Vista to be a free update too"
Speaking of which, there are supposed to be like 17 different versions of Vista. And unless you buy the most expensive one, which costs more than an Xbox 360, you don't even get the new "Aero" interface, with all the glass and stuff. Shows how much Microsoft cares about its consumers.

D

Djin

corysw said:
"What's the point of even getting a computer before the year 2000?"
It's 2006.

"My cellphone does all this too."
No, you're right. Computers are only for playing FEAR. Typing reports, surfing the internet, and playing DVDs should all be done on a cellphone.

If you read my very first post, you'll see why I have that imac from 6 years ago. I don't use them so I can't figure out how to do anything.

All I'm saying is what's the point of upgrading a Mac if all it does is surf the interweb and other useless crap?

This has turned into a flame war, and I'm in the middle... oh well. All I want is help, not this.

M

MJGUK

corysw said:
"...Vista to be a free update too"
Speaking of which, there are supposed to be like 17 different versions of Vista. And unless you buy the most expensive one, which costs more than an Xbox 360, you don't even get the new "Aero" interface, with all the glass and stuff. Shows how much Microsoft cares about its consumers.
LMAO!

'Which costs more than an Xbox 360....'

Haha, not sure why but that made me laugh a lot cheers :) :p
And yeah that is true, I mean seriously I don't wanna go all 'Rebel against Microsoft' on you but I think Microsoft's new marketing line should be:

'Microsoft.....A Simple Choice'

Or not? Seriously do they have a version for every time Bill Gates bought an Apple Computer? The way they are structured is pretty funny too.....I read the list and in plain English it's kinda like:

1) Windows Vista: 'Cheap Lewser' Version
2) Windows Vista: 'Still Poor Enough to Clean Bill's Shoes Version
3) Windows Vista: 'No Glass for You, But a Whole load of XP' Version
4) Windows Vista: 'WOAH! Bill Would Be PROUD!' Version
5) Windows Vista: The Glass is close, you can almost touch it!' Version
6 Windows Vista: Congratulations, you have made your mark on life! Have a Glass' Version.

Ah well, I'm sure Vista will be decent enough to be fair.
But I just love the way Microsoft over complicate things :p

D

Djin

MJGUK said:
LMAO!

'Which costs more than an Xbox 360....'

Haha, not sure why but that made me laugh a lot cheers :) :p
And yeah that is true, I mean seriously I don't wanna go all 'Rebel against Microsoft' on you but I think Microsoft's new marketing line should be:

'Microsoft.....A Simple Choice'

Or not? Seriously do they have a version for every time Bill Gates bought an Apple Computer? The way they are structured is pretty funny too.....I read the list and in plain English it's kinda like:

1) Windows Vista: 'Cheap Lewser' Version
2) Windows Vista: 'Still Poor Enough to Clean Bill's Shoes Version
3) Windows Vista: 'No Glass for You, But a Whole load of XP' Version
4) Windows Vista: 'WOAH! Bill Would Be PROUD!' Version
5) Windows Vista: The Glass is close, you can almost touch it!' Version
6 Windows Vista: Congratulations, you have made your mark on life! Have a Glass' Version.

Ah well, I'm sure Vista will be decent enough to be fair.
But I just love the way Microsoft over complicate things :p

Reason why I love Microsoft, I don't pay for their software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Djin said:
Reason why I love Microsoft, I don't pay for their software.

Well that's certainly something to be proud of....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This thread is closed, it's well past its useful life and is descending into a meaningless OSX vs Windows thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.