Power Save Issues

Reaction score
Hi, I have an
APPLE MAC PRO (3,1) 2.8GHZ (8 CORE) 12GB 640GB ATI 2600XT (10,000) 10.9 Mavericks. Recently when booting up, the monitor/machine goes into power save mode and the screen goes black. I have tried 2 different monitors and still get the same result. i have tried booting up in safe mode but it starts t show the progress bar and the goes into power save mode, I've zapped the PRAM and reset the SMC, but it continues to do the same. HELP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe the 2600 XT card.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if it was the graphics board, however just booted up holding down the S key and it came to life, however when running techtool pro i noticed it's not seeing DIMM riser A? This is the nearest I've had to it running in a week! Sorry it is seeing Riser A but says it's empty, dodgy chip maybe or duff riser?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well it sounds like you could be headed in the right direction. I would start playing with the memory sticks - removing them then adding them back. See what happens. Hopefully it is just a bad stick of memory.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for your help but unfortunately it isn't he RAM or risers! I've managed to boot up for 10 minutes after re-seating them and today all are functioning correctly. then it just goes back in to power save mode. Soon after it goes into PS mode it sounds like something spinning down. I have now got it in target mode on my powerbook and it appears to be still running OK. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Failing graphics card? If it is working in target mode I guess my next move would be to replace the graphics card.

And how do you know it is in power save mode? Is the power switch doing its dim in and out thing? (Not sure what to call it. :Blushing: )

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
And how do you know it is in power save mode? Is the power switch doing its dim in and out thing? (Not sure what to call it. :Blushing: )

Lisa

I call it "glowing"

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Lisa, thanks for the assist, after reading your reply I have come to the conclusion that it is the monitor going into PS mode not the Mac, I get a no signal message that flashes up on the screen just before it goes black. The Mac is on as the light on the front is a steady bright white. I have reseated the 2600XT an now have no messages coming up on screen at all, all I can hear and see is the fan in the 2600XT spinning up and down every couple of minutes. i take I need a new graphics card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does sound like that is a definite possibility. Replacing the graphics card would be my choice.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
To all, thank you for your help, it turned out to be the Graphics Card, now replaced and life is back to normal!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To all, thank you for your help, it turned out to be the Graphics Card, now replaced and life is back to normal!!

Good deal...great to hear it. The graphics card is much easier to replace on an old Mac Pro!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.