OSX Sierra: Guest Account Cannot Use Apps

Reaction score
Hi,

I updated to OSX Sierra. I noticed that the Guest account on Sierra are restricted to only using Safari and literately nothing else. It's not a bad thing given the security and privacy it provides to the administrator. However, what if a guest wants to use Pages, Numbers or a Photo Editing App?

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

You have to give the guest account privileges to be able to use the apps. Normally that is done at the time of installation of the software, where you answer the question about installing for just this user or all users with ALL. It may be changeable now, but I suspect it would require command-line actions of which I know little. Maybe someone will come along to assist with that.

Also, I noted that for the Guest account there is a line in System Preferences/Users & Groups that says: "If FileVault is turn on guest users can only access Safari." I take it you have FileVault turned on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are all online now, but I understand your question. Have you tried to change the settings for the Guest user account? In System Preferences > Users & Groups, select the Guest account and change options as needed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeh i have went into settings to fiddle around with the options of Guest Account. The only option is parental control.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@simonvee,

Taking up Jake's excellent point: do you have File Vault turned on?

That in itsself would definitely limit the guest to Safari.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.