Is Xcode free?

Reaction score
I'm dipping my toes into the world of app development. Xcode is an obvious necessity.

Just wondering if it's free? It has no listed price in the App Store, but the ensuing (Apple ID) prompt says 'buy it now', as opposed to 'sign in to download', or something of the sort.

Just thought i'd confirm this, as I don't want to be whacked with an unseen/unquantified purchase fee should I click through the prompt boxes and start downloading Xcode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, Xcode is free.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Xcode is indeed free. There was a very short period of time when it went from free to being charged $4.99 for it, but then it return to free again.

Reaction score
Yes Xcode is free...but...

Xcode is a free application. However, in order to publish your app on the app store you must have a developers account which costs $100/annually.

I am not sure the specifics but I know Developer Accounts also come with some access to developer forums, special developer help, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, in order to publish your app on the app store you must have a developers account which costs $100/annually.

Of course.:)

The Xcode app being free...and needing to pay to publish apps on the app store are two different topics.:) Folks can always use Xcode to develop apps...and publish them independently of the app store. Of course being on the app store gives an app "gillions" more exposure (and profit potential). But there are lots of independent apps out there too.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.