Why is my iMac so **** SLOW?!?!?

R

Rusyn

Okay, I got my iMac a couple of weeks ago... and everything was cake. Then about 2 days ago things started to mess up... my computer started to c...r...a...w...l...

And I am talking BAD. I would have nothing open, be looking at the desktop, click on GO in the Finder and it would take 6 whole seconds before the menu would drop down. When I clicked on my browser it takes over a full minute for it to load up, and the little bouncing icon looks like it is three frame animation. And this is AFTER I turned off Shapeshifter and deleted StuffIt Deluxe.

Just last week I was running Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Konfabulator all in a Milk theme with Mighty Mouse and talking on MSN Messenger with friends in foreign places. Now it takes 3 full seconds to switch windows from my browser to my Messenger window.

I used MacJanitor, Onyx, repairs permissions and even reinstalled OSX (not clean tho). When I restart the computer everything is chippy, but as time goes on... reaction time SLOWS down... I have to restart a cople of times a day...

i thought I said goodbye to this kinda stuff when I switched... :(

I bought this computer off a friend who never had ANY problems like this with his RAM in the 8 months he owned it. So I don't think it is a hardware problem...

What is going on!?!?!?!?

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
S

StarManta

Open the process viewer and see if there's any processes taking up lots of CPU time. (Applications -> Utilities -> Process Viewer). Is the hard drive constantly grinding? if it is you might have some program taking up lots of memory... i think process viewer tells you that too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I'm not sure why you would be having this problem, but as an attempt to fix it somewhat, you could try using TurboMem. I installed it on my iBook (although it wasn't having any problems like you describe), and it seems to work as advertised. It's free, so it's worth a shot. I just added it to my startup programs, so it loads and runs in the background. Other than that and running the system diagnostic disk, I don't really have any other suggestions though.

OP
R

Rusyn

I Looked in the Activity Monitor before and found that konfabulator was taking up 40% of my memory, and WindowServer (whatever that is) was taking up over 50%. But even if I close down Konfabulator stuff is still slow...

And last week I was running Konfabulator fine.

Now I don't even DARE run iTunes while working. And I have a 1.0GHz with 768megs of RAM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Kind of sounds like a memory leak, where a badly written program keeps on taking up blocks in your RAM.

Especially since you said it's fine when you reboot.

What have you installed lately?

sKaD

OP
R

Rusyn

Hmmmm.... well I deleted Konfabulator and Tigerlaunch. Reinstalled TLaunch and everything seems fine. Maybe my Konfabulator got corrupted??? I also got that TurboMem, which is pretty neat.

Well, everything seems to be okay now ... thanks for the suggestions. I am sure you will hear if it acts up aain... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Good to hear your problem is solved :)

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.