Sierra as a VM in Fusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have installed macOS Sierra as a VM in VM Fusion8.5. This part was very easy as you can just open the Applications folder in Finder and drag the Install macOS Sierra App onto the VM Fusion one and it automatically creates a new default VM and installs Sierra into it, with very little input required.

I then installed the VMware Tools and set the graphics to 3D, including the reboots.

This all works fine and I can now test Sierra.

The only problem is I cannot get the Unity option to work. Only the Window or Full Screen options are available. Does anybody know how to make the Unity option work please?

I am running El Capitan on a Mid-2012 MBP, with Fusion 8.5

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
An easier and more efficient way would be to partition the storage device. Run El Capitan on one partition and run Sierra on another partition.:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
An easier and more efficient way would be to partition the storage device. Run El Capitan on one partition and run Sierra on another partition.:)

- Nick

I might do that eventually. I just want to give it a test without the partitioning :)

Will that give me two Restore partitions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I might do that eventually. I just want to give it a test without the partitioning :)

This can be done...but there is some "overhead" when running an OS in a VM such as VmWare Fusion. Sierra (and any other OS) will run faster "natively".

Will that give me two Restore partitions?

I don't think so.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, in the past it has created a restore partition for each macOS installed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I installed Sierra on an External Disk rather than in VM Fusion, where would the Recovery partition go please - on the External Disk or the Internal one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can not put the Recovery on a different disk. Recovery is only a partition on the disk the OS is installed on. Even if you create one disk with 5 partitions that have macOS installed, you will have the 5 partitions and the 5 Recovery partitions.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Bob, what I meant was if instead of partitioning my existing internal disk I installed Sierra on an External Disk - leaving El Capitan on the Internal Disk.

Would I have:
El Cap and its Recovery partition on the Internal Disk
Sierra and its Recovery partition on the External Disk

or would both Recovery partitions be placed on the Internal Disk?

I would prefer to try Sierra without making any permanent changes to the Internal Disk or the copy of El Cap currently on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Bob, what I meant was if instead of partitioning my existing internal disk I installed Sierra on an External Disk - leaving El Capitan on the Internal Disk.

Would I have:
El Cap and its Recovery partition on the Internal Disk
Sierra and its Recovery partition on the External Disk

or would both Recovery partitions be placed on the Internal Disk?

I would prefer to try Sierra without making any permanent changes to the Internal Disk or the copy of El Cap currently on it.
Sorry, yes, both disks would have their respective Recovery partition.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Bob. That might be worth a try then :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Bob. That might be worth a try then :)

That's how I beta test a new version of OS X by placing it on an external disk and then booting from that disk. Placing both El Capitan and Sierra on the same hard drive, you will wind up with 6 partitions: 2 EFI, 2 OS X, and 2 Recovery. Not recommended.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely a separate disk. That was why I wanted to be sure it will not try to put the Recovery partition on the Internal Disk.

As long as it all goes on the External Disk I can play around and then wipe the disk once finished without affecting the Internal Disk :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed successfully on an External Disk on my MBP.

Looks OK so far. Have confirmed the original OS is still working but not yet checked on Restore partitions. I assume if I boot up and press the appropriate key (which I can't remember at present) then it will show all bootable drives - including the Restore partitions. Repeat both with and without the External Drive and we have the answer :)

Of course, strictly speaking this thread is now OS rather than Apps :)

Edit - it seems the Option Key is the one I need :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the "option" key only show OS drives partitions, doesn't it? To see Recovery drives you may need to use "command + R", to see them.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the "option" key only show OS drives partitions, doesn't it? To see Recovery drives you may need to use "command + R", to see them.

Good point - I think you are correct :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.