Apple Mail App after Sierra install

Reaction score
When I download my mail to the Apple Mail app, a few of the mail messages start to "flash on and off" when I click on them to read them.
Is this a setting somewhere (which I can't find) that can be turned off? If I open the mail message in it's own window, it doesn't flash. Only flashes when in the preview window.
Weird, but I hope that makes sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you set up any Rules in Mail? If so, try turning them off and see if the flashing stops.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Are you by any chance using "classic layout" rather than the standard layout associated with Sierra (Mail > Preferences > Viewing)?

I only ask because there have been a few scattered reports of similar behaviour by folks who were using the "classic layout" in El Capitan or Yosemite and who upgraded to Sierra.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "Classic" layout in Sierra is a bit flaky. Sometimes the message body is missing even though the header has been downloaded and shows up. I found by using the "inverted" sort order that the message body will then appear. This does not happen with every download but often enough to be annoying. However, I haven't noticed any flashing on and off of messages while in Classic mode.

M

MacInWin

Strange, I use classic mode on Sierra and I've never seen any flakiness like that. Wonder if it's a setting somewhere?

OP
N
Reaction score
Not using classic layout.
I thought maybe that it might be something that is set by the sender, but i have no idea.
My rules are no different from EC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you try cancelling them and see if things worked as suggested?

OP
N
Reaction score
Did you try cancelling them and see if things worked as suggested?

Sorry. Haven't been around for a while.

Yes, I did cancel my rules, and no, it made no difference.

This flashing is now irritating. I might have to look at another email client to see if that is any different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.