It says I'm connected to the internet but also says I'm not?!

S

salohcin

Got my first Apple (MacBook Pro) and I'm loving it so far. However, there's problems with connecting to my home network.

Initially, I connected to my home network and put in my password/key when prompted and it didn't look like there were any problems. But when I try to open Safari, it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet.

When I open 'Network' via System Preferences, it actually tells me that I am connected to the internet. The AirPort status in my menu bar also says that I'm connected to my home network.

More to the point, when I go on AirPort/Internet Connect via Applications, it tells me that I'm connected to my home network and that the signal level is completely full.

I tried restarting, but it wasn't effective.

What should I do?

(I use a cable internet connection, with a Belkin wireless router - model number F5D7230-4.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
do you have anything restricting access on the router such as MAC address filtering?

OP
S

speedbird1

Try switching off airport and connecting to your router with a cable and activate the " connect via ethernet cable" in the network settings section of preferences, then try safari. i would guess that the Belkin's built in firewall is stopping you connecting wirelessly. then when you are connected to the net you can at your leisure mess with the settings of the belkin. usually if you type 192.168.1.1. into your address bar it will bring up the router. Or at least i think it does. give it a try eh?

OP
S

salohcin

Inflexion: There's no MAC address filtering. As far as I know, the only thing restricting access is the key. And I've put the key into my Mac and it connected, no problem.

Speedbird1: I've tried using the ethernet cable. I did connect to the internet. However, I'm not really sure your theory about the Belkin's firewall being the problem, as two other computers in the house (both Windows) have connected to the network perfectly well just by putting in the key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
have you tried restarting the router? also, if you haven't already you might want to check out the troubleshooting in the router's manual, it may have some suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.