• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is the best method to convert Blu-ray (bluray) to DVD?

OP
G
Reaction score
A new version of DVDfab 9 came out, DVDFab 9.3.1.8, that is compatible with 10.12. I just downloaded it and it installed without a problem, however when I run the program it tells me that my trial has expired, which is weird since i've never ran this program before, nor have I tried this program before.

I will try to give it another go, maybe contact dvdfab support to clean up this matter, once I get my blu-ray disk. I will also give Handbreak, VLC, and MakeMKV program a chance as well.

I will ask the studio again regarding the conversion to PAL system. If the price is right I'll get it from them, maybe just get one disk and then copy them on my own, hopefully being able to change my region code on my burner. I'm being very hopeful that it will not have a limit on how many times I may change it. It looks like the process of conversion NTSC to PAL is very complex.

I appreciate all your help guys. If you have any other suggestions and opinions then I'd love to hear them. My main concern now is the NTSC to PAL, I want to send some disks to Europe for my family to watch them. I prefer this way so they would be able to watch them on their TV as opposed to uploading it to youtube and have them watch it on their computer.

Thank you,
Greg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'm prepared to bet that you will not be able to change the region code on your burner. North American DVD hardware is generally hardware locked to region 1, mainly because there would be no advantage in changing it. The original reason for region codes was to prevent movies from being made available to English speaking audiences while they were still playing in theatres, so the UK and Ireland joined Europe in region 2. From memory, Australia and NZ are region 4, to prevent early release of Japanese region 1 disks.

There used to be software available to reset the counter on players with firmware region locks, but that had to be used before the fifth, and final, change.

By the way, region switching on players capable of it was generally achieved by simply loading a disk. If the disk was from a different region and the counter hadn't reached 5, the region would switch, the counter would advance and the disk would play. So you need to be careful, unless you can locate software to reset the counter each time you change regions and prevent the counter ever reaching 5.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm prepared to bet that you will not be able to change the region code on your burner. North American DVD hardware is generally hardware locked to region 1, mainly because there would be no advantage in changing it. The original reason for region codes was to prevent movies from being made available to English speaking audiences while they were still playing in theatres, so the UK and Ireland joined Europe in region 2. From memory, Australia and NZ are region 4, to prevent early release of Japanese region 1 disks.

There used to be software available to reset the counter on players with firmware region locks, but that had to be used before the fifth, and final, change.

By the way, region switching on players capable of it was generally achieved by simply loading a disk. If the disk was from a different region and the counter hadn't reached 5, the region would switch, the counter would advance and the disk would play. So you need to be careful, unless you can locate software to reset the counter each time you change regions and prevent the counter ever reaching 5.

I've read this too, I believe on wiki.

Before changing anything to my hardware, I will contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At one time there was software available to reset the region counters back to one. It accomplished that by zapping and resetting the player firmware. However, the movie and Hollywood industry got wise to it and forced player manufacturers to prevent that from working. As a matter of fact, attempting to reset the firmware on players for US and Canada will brick the player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.