xbox live connnection through mac

C

codie

hi there, i have ben flanked off by microsft help so hopefully you guys can help me.

my house network setup is as follows: in my room there is an xbox 360 and a imac g5, in a room next to me there is a power book connected to a wireless router, on my imac i get a connection from the wireless router.

my question is can i connect my xbox 360 directly to the etherent port on my computer and have it go on xbox live, i have tried this and it says it cant find my ip even though in the network preferences i have stated what the ip is.

any help on this would be great and i understand if no one wants to help. :eek:neye:

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Try turning Internet Sharing on in the Sharing pane of your System Preferences. Have it share the Airport connection with computers using built-in ethernet. I have no way to test this, so I cannot guarentee that it works. Another solution (if you want to spent a little money) is to buy a wireless adapter for your xbox. But hopefully the above (and free) solution will work for you. Let me know!

Reaction score
codie said:
can i connect my xbox 360 directly to the etherent port on my computer

Yes, but you don't want a standard ethernet cable, you need a crossover cable. If you have the tools/will you could take a regular one and change the wires around to make a crossover. Google crossover ethernet for instructions. Then you'll need to turn on internet sharing and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Has your wireless router no ethernet ports on the back? Many of them do have, so just have a check, that way, you can connect your xbox direct to your router.

You could get the wireless connector but a cheaper way may be to buy a new wireless router with at least one ethernet port. The problem connecting it via your computer is that you will have to have your computer on when you are gaming on the xbox.

If you are a heavy gamer, this will result in a little more wear and tear on your computer and certainly cost more in electricity over time, so buying the wireless connector/or new wireless router will work out cheaper in the long run.

Once you are up and running check your network settings on the xbox and make sure your NAT says it is open otherwise you will have intermittent connection problems/booting off games/problems with communicating via headphones if it says moderate or strict.

If it is moderate or strict, MS tell you to get an XBox compatible router, but you do not need to. If you do not already have a static IP, if your router has the ability to make DHCP dynamic IPs static (like mine does) you can set a static IP for the XBox and use port forwarding for the following ports:

88 UDP only
3074 UDP and TCP

You also need to enable uPnP on the router for the xbox too and your NAT will then stay open once you have done these two things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
mynameis said:
Yes, but you don't want a standard ethernet cable, you need a crossover cable. If you have the tools/will you could take a regular one and change the wires around to make a crossover. Google crossover ethernet for instructions. Then you'll need to turn on internet sharing and such.

Not necessarily... if I'm not mistaken the newer Macs can automatically convert a standard ethernet cable to a crossover cable as mentioned here

Reaction score
daz087 said:
Not necessarily... if I'm not mistaken the newer Macs can automatically convert a standard ethernet cable to a crossover cable as mentioned here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 said:
This document outlines which Apple products require an Ethernet crossover cable, and which can use a standard Ethernet cable when connecting directly to another Apple product.

It might work, I don't know.

Does the ethernet light on your Xbox light up when you plug it into the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2
mynameis said:
It might work, I don't know.

Does the ethernet light on your Xbox light up when you plug it into the iMac?

Did you get this working?

Reason been im also trying to do it with my 360, I have the same setup as you. I have the sharing and everything turned on, but my 360 fails at the IP address check.

What makes it annoying though, is if I boot up into windows and do the same thing, it works fine.

OP
R

Rochey

i am having the same problems. i have tried countless times and turned all sorts of settings on and off and nothing seems to work. my xbox and my xbox 360 both wont connect. with 10.2 all i did was turn sharing on and it worked perfectly. perphaps there is an application to download to fix this? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/ might have something. im hopeless with these things. i hope someone can help me though cause i dont have a pc or a wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
If you do Internet Sharing under system pref, it should work. I had done this on a old crappy pc once. It was using WiFi to get internet access and was connected to the 360 using a crossover cable, and it worked just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.