TYUIO Keys Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No one had any other suggestions?

Did you try the suggestions you posted??

Even if you did, try doing them again, as sometimes the first try doesn't always work. And don't forget to shutdown and then boot up.

Have you tried a SMC and PRAM resets??

Have you got another OS version on some external boot drive you can try booting from and using just to teast??

Do they work if you enable the Keyboard Viewer and use the mouse pointer to click on the selected key??

And what happens when cold booted and using Safe Boot Mode???

- Patrick
==========

M

MacInWin

And have you tried an external keyboard to see if it is hardware or software related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And have you tried an external keyboard to see if it is hardware or software related?

Of course!!! Such an obvious check to try with the logical thought passing overhead completely missed!!!

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
I also am having rble wh hse kes

I am also having trouble with tyuio

I have a 2012 macbook air and those keys started giving me trouble about 3 months ago. It's getting worse. Sometimes the reboots and resets above help a bit, but only for a few moments. I am able to type now using an external keyboard I found at the office.

The fact that an external keyboard works - does it mean it's definitely a hardware issue? And if so, what would the fix be? I want to avoid spending a grand or two on a new mac if I can get this piece of junk fixed for under $100 myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Any spills on the keyboard in the past? When someone complains of certain keys not functioning on their keyboard it's usually due to an old spill or accident. Not saying that's your problem, but we need to ask before recommending a fix.

Also, we doubt you will be able to replace that keyboard for under $100.00 unless you do the work yourself. You can check with www.ifixit.com to see what the procedure is for changing it out. As for the keyboard itself, you may be able to find a replacement on eBay.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
We have two different threads here which may have completely different causes despite effecting the same keys:

monstar says in post #17 that Repair Disk works for a short time which would seem to indicate a software issue but has not stated if he has tried an external keyboard. Rather than downgrade the Operating System how about just reinstalling the same OSX. That way all of the existing apps will still be useable. Alternatively running OnyX may repair the problem as Disk Utility is not the best repair tool in the shed.

mannyk on the other hand has successfully tried an external keyboard which would seem to indicate a hardware problem. He should definitely try resetting SMC but if that fails there are 3 possible causes and it's difficult to eliminate them without mechanical surgery. 1. the Keyboard is faulty. 2. The connection cable from the keyboard is faulty. 3. The motherboard is damaged. A hardware check would also be advised. see; https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201257

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ Rod:

mannyk on the other hand has successfully tried an external keyboard which would seem to indicate a hardware problem. He should definitely try resetting SMC but if that fails there are 3 possible causes and it's difficult to eliminate them without mechanical surgery. 1. the Keyboard is faulty. 2. The connection cable from the keyboard is faulty. 3. The motherboard is damaged. A hardware check would also be advised. see; https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201257

The first thing we need to find out is if a spill occurred. Did you read my post above yours? ;D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No one ever admits to that unless it was recent. If nothing happened at the time it's often forgotten. In some cases they may not have even been aware of it ie. Third party. So although it can't be ruled out a presumption of innocence is required. ?

Reaction score
TYUIO Keys Not Working (OS hiccup)

Hello, everyone.

I also have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with macOS Sierra 10.12.6. NEVER had a spill and clean keyboard regularly. I also have issues with the TYUIO keys, as referred. However, I have discovered that, by carrying out a NVRAM reset, they start working normally again. That is, for the next 3-4 days. This problem started happening after several months of carrying out the Sierra upgrade. I have already downloaded again the El Capitan OS, but system won't let me install it, being an older OS, so I'll just wait for the next OS upgrade to come out, hoping Apple has fixed this issue in it, as I am now truly convinced it¡s an OS hiccup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already downloaded again the El Capitan OS, but system won't let me install it, being an older OS, so I'll just wait for the next OS upgrade to come out, hoping Apple has fixed this issue in it, as I am now truly convinced it¡s an OS hiccup.

You could try downloading the Sierra COMBO UPDATE and see if it will install.

I'm not sure if Apple has killed that as well. :Sleeping:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_CA
https://support.apple.com/downloads/combo

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

I wonder if it could somehow be a battery swelling issue? When the battery swells, it puts pressure on the trackpad/keyboard from underneath, could be distorting the board enough to dislodge or partially disconnect a connector to the keyboard? I know on my wife's MBP, when the battery swelled up the trackpad and keyboard began to act funny and eventually became unusable. Replacing the battery cured it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if it could somehow be a battery swelling issue?

I didn't think the keyboard cable could get squished on the MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012 models, unlike some earlier models but something to check.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/10365
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-keyboard-on-macbook-pro-13-15-17-laptops/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=macb...hUKEwiTjr3y1IzXAhUUzGMKHesDCskQsAQISA#imgrc=_

But out of curiosity, do the keys work using the Keyboard Viewer, which is available via the Keyboard Preferences, in System Prefs.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
You could try downloading the Sierra COMBO UPDATE and see if it will install.

I'm not sure if Apple has killed that as well. :Sleeping:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_CA
https://support.apple.com/downloads/combo

- Patrick
======

Thanks a lot for the heads-up, Patrick! Already installed the Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update and seems to be running fine. Even the keyboard has the TYUIO keys working normally. Will keep an eye on this and report back should the problem happen again. On a separate train of thought, I don't think the problem could be related to battery swelling for, at least in my case, it also happens when starting up (not simply waking up) early in the mornings, after a good night of complete rest (laptop shutdown, not just in sleep mode).

M

MacInWin

Patrick, I knew that, which is why I said that it might have been dislodged, not squished. If the board is contorted on one edge, maybe a contact gets dislodged on the other side of the board? And if only one pin is no longer in contact, you could lose part of the keyboard. Why that row? Maybe that's on the end, or in the middle, where the distortion has the greatest effect. One quick way to test is to use an external keyboard. If the keys work there, then it's something physical. If not, then something software.

M

MacInWin

Spiff1972, batteries don't swell because they are being used. They swell because gasses are released inside them. They don't go down with non use, either. Once they swell, they stay swollen. The more swelling, the more dangerous they are, too. Eventually the gas pressure can build up so high the battery splits and the gas escapes. It's flammable, so if there is a heat source or spark nearby, it can burst into flame. So you cannot discard the concern for the battery just because you rest the battery each night. About the only way to know if the battery is swelling is to look at it. Or you can wait until it distorts the case. If the MBP doesn't rest flat but can be rocked just a bit, then the battery is swollen, distorting the bottom case. Or the trackpad is harder to press to get a click, and less responsive in general.

I'm not saying your battery is swollen. I don't know if it is or not. It's up to you whether to investigate or not. But if the case rocks on a flat surface or the trackpad starts being difficult to press, I'd say it's 90% probable the battery is the culprit.

Reaction score
Spiff1972, batteries don't swell because they are being used. They swell because gasses are released inside them. They don't go down with non use, either. Once they swell, they stay swollen. The more swelling, the more dangerous they are, too. Eventually the gas pressure can build up so high the battery splits and the gas escapes. It's flammable, so if there is a heat source or spark nearby, it can burst into flame. So you cannot discard the concern for the battery just because you rest the battery each night. About the only way to know if the battery is swelling is to look at it. Or you can wait until it distorts the case. If the MBP doesn't rest flat but can be rocked just a bit, then the battery is swollen, distorting the bottom case. Or the trackpad is harder to press to get a click, and less responsive in general.

I'm not saying your battery is swollen. I don't know if it is or not. It's up to you whether to investigate or not. But if the case rocks on a flat surface or the trackpad starts being difficult to press, I'd say it's 90% probable the battery is the culprit.

Thanks MacInWin. But, if the battery got swollen, then the problem with the TYUIO keys would be permanent, wouldn't it? Problem comes and goes sporadically and for no apparent reason. I still need to test an external keyboard (which I intend to do today, should the problem show up again) but, since I installed the 10.12.6 Combo Update, seems to be working fine. I've also downloaded OS High Sierra, but don't want to instal it before I fully test my laptop.

M

MacInWin

Maybe. But consider this scenario: You boot up and the fingers in the connectors just barely make connection because the battery is distorting the board. Now the machine heats up and the board expands slightly, the finger for the affected keys doesn't touch any more and the problem manifests. That's at least one way in which a physical problem can be intermittent. Another is that the strain of the battery against either the board or some cable inside just barely lets the connector touch, but when the board heats up and expands it pulls apart. Or a very thin break in a cable caused by the battery swelling closes when cool, but opens when warm, or jostled. Again, I don't know that's the problem, but I still think you should get the battery checked. Your machine is a mid-2012, getting pretty old. Batteries start to deteriorate two years after manufacture. You are at least three years beyond that.

IF the problem were software related, I think there would be many more instances and much more wailing about it in the various forums that address this type problem. It COULD be something specific where a combination of applications interact to cause the keys to stop, but that's really a very unlikely scenario and one that, as soon as it manifested, would be addressed from both the app developer and Apple.

Reaction score
Don't know why my first post didn't make it, but let's try again.

I have had two Mac, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro with this problem.

Most recently I "fixed"the problem by pressing on the tyuio key all at once.

So far, so good.

As a result, I think this is not a mechanical problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Reaction score
First I ran cleanmymac and let it delete a bunch of old files that were cluttering up my MacBookPro. I have done this in the past just to keep my system clean. I was still having tyuio problems. I tried holding those keys down and the window below opened, showing me international options for the O key. I chose one, then deleted it. From then on during that session the tyuio keys did not misbehave. Any thoughts? Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.40.02 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From then on during that session the tyuio keys did not misbehave. Any thoughts?

So how are ALL you keys working lately and when using other applications???

Plus what extensions are you using in your startup/login settings???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.