Running Windows xp On macbook pro 2012 with only windows

Reaction score
How can i install Windows xp on my macbook pro 2012 that only has windows 10 No MACOSX, i wanna dual boot them both since i already got windows 10 last year and i cant install linux so now i wanna do windows xp and i already used partition 4 for windows 10 and i formatted my macosx which was sda2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why would you want to run Windows only on an Apple computer??...and even more confusing...why would you want to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 10 on an Apple computer (with no OS X).

Get a Windows computer for this!:)

- Nick

p.s. And for what it's worth. Windows XP isn't supported on 2012 MacBook Pro's:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
- Nick

This is only for Boot Camp.

If the OP wants to try to find drivers for the hardware, he may be able to get it working. Why, well that is a whole different story. OP sell the Mac, buy the machine you want.

Did you even consider putting Mac back on it? If you want help, ask the questions you need answers for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let 'im do what he wanna do! This has been circulating for over a month and he still wanna do it.

Reaction score
Why would you want to run Windows only on an Apple computer??...and even more confusing...why would you want to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 10 on an Apple computer (with no OS X).

Get a Windows computer for this!:)

- Nick

reasonable. But XP runs perfectly still (in bootcamp and vm) on my 2012 MBP's. not supported only means no (security) updates.
I have it running on macs in VM, and this is because I have XP running in dedicated PC's (XP only, for managing technical installations).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Why would you run XP on a MacBook ?

As somebody who does just that, but on an iMac, let me explain. When I bought my iMac I had a top of the range Fujitsu scanner that only works with Windows (yes I could spend £100=$120 on compatible scanner software but why would I?). I also had some music composition software that only works with Windows. Windows XP is quite satisfactory for this.

Another Forum member suggested trying Virtual Box as an alternative to Bootcamp. This avoided partitioning the drive. There is only one drawback. I still use Virtual Box Version 5.0.10 because subsequent versions disable my wireless Apple mouse. I don't know why this is; I posted a complaint on the Virtual Box forum but it was clear that respondents didn't understand how the mouse worked as they talked about USB connections that aren't used by it.

So I would strongly recommend downloading the earlier VB version which appears still to be available rather than partitioning your HD. Another big advantage is that you can still access and use the Mac OSX while running Windows in Virtual Box. If you use Bootcamp you have to close down the Mac OSX and then run Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let him go buy a Dell, pocket the difference and become an XP user if he wishes with all its pitfalls and viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.