External SSD for mid-2011 iMac 21.5"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021iMac M1Ventura;2019 iMac 21.5 Ventura;2017MB 12"Mojave, 2iPhone12, AW2 + AW6
Hi all,
OK, I get the message that replacing an internal HDD with an SSD will rejuvenate my machine. I also see, I think, that I could add an external SSD, though I'm not certain how (via the Thunderbolt connection?). But I also saw some posts (elsewhere) about that posing problems for fan control inside the machine.
I also watched the OWC video of how to replace the internal drive, and it scares me just to imagine tearing out all those connections and somehow getting them all back together, although from the looks of it, lots of people have done this. I live in France so I couldn't send my machine to OWC for this, but probably there are similar solutions in France.

So this is a very basic query and sorry for my ignorance :D.

And just to be sure: would an SSD of either description help eliminate those beachballs, or does that have nothing to do with them? I upgraded to El Capitan recently (from SL) and doubled the RAM to 8 GB, but am still getting beachballs and, what is worse, system crashes (I've consulted the other forums on that).

Thanks in advance

Ann

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I also saw some posts (elsewhere) about that posing problems for fan control inside the machine.

If you're considering an SSD...install it internally. I would recommend doing it yourself if you can (you will save a bunch of money).

OWC has a special cable that address's the fan issue. Yes you must get it from OWC. I don't think anyone else makes them. But...I have seen them on Amazon (same OWC cable). So if purchasing from Amazon is better...do that.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That replacing it yourself is a big step. Before upgrading my iMac, I had the same model as you and faced the same problem. I purchased a Silicon Power 240GB external Thunderbolt SSD and sat it on a rack from 12 South Dock that fits stand of the iMac with holes for cooling. It ran very well and fast, faster than some other brand SSds fitted internally. Only problem is any updates go via the i8nternal drive first. I used the internal simply as a backup.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/68...gb-thunderbolt-external-ssd-review/index.html

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021iMac M1Ventura;2019 iMac 21.5 Ventura;2017MB 12"Mojave, 2iPhone12, AW2 + AW6
Thanks, Harryb. That's quite helpful.

And Nick, thanks also. The problem is not OWC hardware - I ordered my extra memory from them in the US and the delivery and support were fine. I'm just saying I could not send my computer to OWC for them to install an SSD internally.

I thought I understood the following: one should use the SSD as a startup disk and also to house applications so the latter will run faster. The internal HD should be used to house documents and other files. But Harry you say the updates go through the internal, so that means that applications are on the internal. I'm getting confused.

My HDD is not too full - I've still got more than 25% free. I'm just looking for a bit more pep. And what about those beachballs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And Nick, thanks also. The problem is not OWC hardware - I ordered my extra memory from them in the US and the delivery and support were fine. I'm just saying I could not send my computer to OWC for them to install an SSD internally.

Yes I understand. Many folks outside the US dislike ordering from OWC due to higher shipping charges & possibily import taxes/fee (like VAT). That's why I mentioned Amazon in case ordering from OWC was an issue.

Secondly. I did not realize that OWC offered an install service for SSD's. I know they do some other sorts of installs...didn't realize they did SSD's.

I thought I understood the following: one should use the SSD as a startup disk and also to house applications so the latter will run faster. The internal HD should be used to house documents and other files. But Harry you say the updates go through the internal, so that means that applications are on the internal. I'm getting confused.

Kind of a non-issue unless you decide to install an internal SSD.;)

My HDD is not too full - I've still got more than 25% free. I'm just looking for a bit more pep. And what about those beachballs?

If a hard drive gets too full...more beachballs can result. Don't know what size the HD is...or how much free space it has to judge. Also...you can get a lot of beachballs if you have too many apps open at one time...or if the computer has not been restarted in a long time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No everything was on the external and i used the internal for a backup only and a partition for El Capitan when it was in Beta Mode. I think it is the way Apple does the bupdates looking for the internal. To overcome this I could have just left the internal blank I guess. The TB drive is now used for backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may have to select the disk in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

I believe that macOS (OS X) looks there first, and if the drive that is selected there, happens to be an external, all is good. If the external (startup drive) is not connected/located, that is when macOS looks for another option. When you restart your Mac, it automatically boots to the last hard drive it was booted from, even if that disk is not selected in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol naturally did that from day one at the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.