Safari Bookmarks Issue

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started having an issue with my bookmarks this week, and i don't know if it has something to do with the security update that i installed this week or not. I've searched the internet high and low, but can't seem to find anyone talking about this same exact issue.

My Macbook Pro is running El Capitan with Safari 10.0. When i click on add bookmarks and then "add bookmark", it brings up the dialogue box where you get to choose where the bookmark is saved. I have numerous subject folders containing bookmarks, bookmarks on the favorites bar, and i also keep a running list of random bookmarks. In that dialogue box, I have normally been able to choose from all of those options, but this week, it stopped allowing me the option of just adding the bookmark to the list.

The bookmark list is also different from the reading list, as i still have that option, but i never use it. One thing i can still do is open the bookmark side bar and just drag the url to the list, but i don't normally keep that side bar open.

Thanks,

Steve

M

MacInWin

If you want to see the bookmarks, click on Bookmarks, Edit bookmarks and you'll see all of them in the folders. The screen you showed is just the folders so you can drop the bookmark in the folder of your choice.

OP
T
Reaction score
I can indeed view them and click on them that way, but if i want to bookmark a page, it's only give me these options and i don't usually put them in the folders. I've probably got another 20 bookmarks on the list underneath these folders, as that's where i usually save things.

OP
T
Reaction score
A week ago, when i would click the dropdown box to choose where i wanted to save the bookmark, there was a "bookmarks" option, and that would add it to the bottom of the list. Now it doesn't come up.

M

MacInWin

All you need to do for the bookmarks bar is to drag the address to the bar and drop it where you want it. No need to use the menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
T
Reaction score
The favorites bar is something different than what i am talking about. If i have the sidebar open, i can drag the url there and it'll save, but as i mentioned before, i don't usually keep the sidebar open and i never had to do this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Favorites Bar is what the Bookmarks Bar was. I was letting you know how to find the Bookmarks Bar.

M

MacInWin

Now I'm baffled at what you are trying to do. If you have the bookmark bar visible (That's the bar just below the URL window on the top line), then all you have to do is drag from the window to the bar and drop. You don't need sidebar or anything else.

What, exactly, are you trying to do? You said, "but this week, it stopped allowing me the option of just adding the bookmark to the list." But all the folders show in the window you posted, so why can't you drop the bookmark on the folder you want and be done? If you want the bookmark just "floating" drop it on the "Favorites" icon. I'm struggling to see what isn't working.

OP
T
Reaction score
Maybe this image will help. I do use the Favorites bar, but i also keep a running list of random bookmarks that i haven't decided to save in a folder. I used to be able to choose "bookmarks" in the dropdown menu when adding the bookmark in the dialogue box and it would just save it to the bottom of the list.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.58.08 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe this image will help. I do use the Favorites bar, but i also keep a running list of random bookmarks that i haven't decided to save in a folder. I used to be able to choose "bookmarks" in the dropdown menu when adding the bookmark in the dialogue box and it would just save it to the bottom of the list.

View attachment 25059
Have you tried it? Bookmarks and Favorites work the same way. In post # 2, the image is exactly the same as your image in post # 12. If you select Favorites, and drop the link in there, the website will be added to the bottom of the page.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did just try that, but selecting Favorites from the dropdown menu only adds it to the favorites bar at the top. The picture in post two is from the dropdown menu when trying to save the bookmark. The photo from post 12 is my list of bookmarks from the sidebar.

M

MacInWin

Has it ever worked in 10.0? I ask because 10.0 just came out and it looks like Apple changed the bookmarks operation.

OP
T
Reaction score
So i exported all of my bookmarks to the desktop and deleted what was in Safari so there was nothing left but the favorites. When i tried to save a new bookmark, my only option to save it was the favorites. I think there's something wrong with the update.

OP
T
Reaction score
When i imported the bookmarks, it put them all in another folder, so this is my current workaround.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 10.13.09 AM.png

Now it gives me the option to save a bookmark to the bookmarks folder, but if i click on bookmarks at the top, i now have to put the cursor on the bookmarks folder to see what is inside it. It's a first-world problem for sure, but things shouldn't get more complicated with an update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.