Sudden massive increase in CPU usage with Sierra upgrade?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
After a successful upgrade to macOS Sierra this morning I was a little puzzled when I noticed Menu Meters' CPU % reading had jumped to quite high levels with nothing but a browser running. On investigation via Activity Monitor I found something called "photoanalysisd" using 140% of my CPU.
I was curious of course so I did a bit of Googling and found I was not alone in being concerned. The answer was however simple. It's Photos running a form of facial recognition for the People view. If you open Photos and click on the People menu item you will get a window showing progress so far, in my case 1840 images scanned of 4640. This will not run while on battery power or if Photos is running, so I suggest you quit Photos, leave it plugged in to power and on overnight to let it finish the task.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the Heads up! It will probably scare a few others also so now people will know and just be patient! :D

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.