Zoom weirdness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
I have never had an issue zooming in on safari pages by using the zoom letter A on the far right side of the safari window until yesterday. Now all of my pages are displaying as shown below and it is making me a wee bit batty!

safari ss fb.jpg

Chrome is still displaying normally.

chrome FB SS.jpg

Sorry if this is a lame question, this is the first time I've ever encountered this on any of my Macs. This particular one is the mini, displayed on my TV screen. Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Look under the Safari "View" drop down menu...and choose "Actual Size". See if that helps.

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
Hi, Nick, I have tried that. This is what it does.

safari fb ss small.jpg

Once I've changed it to actual size and then try to zoom from the view menu, it does the same thing. I was wondering if it was stuck on zoom text only...but the problem seems to be that the page itself isn't using the whole window to display.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One area to check (just in case) is "Universal Access" or "Accessibility" (name can be different depending on OS version). See if any settings related to zooming are set to something you do not want.

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see anything weird, do you?

1.jpg

2.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't really see details in those images. The system preference idea was a long shot.

Have you tried:

- Quitting & restarting Safari?
- Restarting the computer?

* Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't really see details in those images. The system preference idea was a long shot.

Have you tried:

- Quitting & restarting Safari?
- Restarting the computer?

* Nick

I haven't restarted the computer, which I will do now- but have closed safari a few times.

I did have one thought...yesterday I was working on cleaning our my hard drive as it had been moving a bit sluggishy and I installed and ran the app Monolingual that cleaned out all of the languages in the OS that I don't use. Could that have had something to do with it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did have one thought...yesterday I was working on cleaning our my hard drive as it had been moving a bit sluggishy and I installed and ran the app Monolingual that cleaned out all of the languages in the OS that I don't use. Could that have had something to do with it?

I don't know 100%. But if everything was fine before...and not so good after...this could be something to consider.

I'm going to assume that you "cleaned out" the other languages because you wanted gain a little extra storage space. Hopefully you got enough space back to be worth it.

I know that you said you did not (but now are) going to restart the computer. Sometimes when stuff like monolingual is run...the first thing to do is restart the computer (so the changes can take effect). Hopefully all that was really needed was a restart.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.