Upgrades from CS3 to CS6 and Student/Teacher version of CS6 usability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Hello, everyone, it has been a while since I posted, but I wonder if anyone might be able to provide some guidance. I currently have Adobe CS3 on an early 2008 Mac Pro, running Yosemite 10.10.5 (recently upgraded). I would like to buy a student version of CS6 (which I understand is compatible with Yosemite), but I am confused by a message I received from a seller today, who said he has just discovered that the CS6 Student Teacher version he was about to sell, is now completely redundant, because of the subscription based software that is now current. In other words, he says, the license is now not transferable. Is this true? If that were the case, surely all disc versions of these products, available to buy used, would also be redundant. Some clarification would be helpful.

My second question relates to upgrades which, is clearly only relevant if the license keys are transferable. I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade straight from CS3 to CS6 or whether I would have to buy a full version of CS6?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to buy a student version of CS6 (which I understand is compatible with Yosemite), but I am confused by a message I received from a seller today, who said he has just discovered that the CS6 Student Teacher version he was about to sell, is now completely redundant, because of the subscription based software that is now current. In other words, he says, the license is now not transferable. Is this true? If that were the case, surely all disc versions of these products, available to buy used, would also be redundant. Some clarification would be helpful.

My second question relates to upgrades which, is clearly only relevant if the license keys are transferable. I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade straight from CS3 to CS6 or whether I would have to buy a full version of CS6?

If it were me. Buy from someone else. Too much drama!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The student Teacher versions are not that easy to come by, in my experience

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Totally understand. The Adobe Software suites are expensive (as I'm sure you know). Adobe apps are well copy protected/licensed/etc. Don't want to purchase one that doesn't work.

What the seller seems to have mentioned just confuses things...and almost makes it sound like anti-selling statements.

And...it sounds like this package of CS6 is "used". Which can lead to issues if the seller does not de-authorize it before/after selling it. What are you going to do if the seller takes your money...does not deauthorize their ownership of the package...and then you're stuck.

Not sure how you're paying for this (cash, credit card, Paypal, check, etc.)...or how you're purchasing (face to face, ebay, amazon, etc.). Definitley make sure you have refund options if something doesn't go well.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well as a postscript on to my my earlier queries about the Student version of CS6, the one I bought works absolutely fine, after signing in to Adobe. I didn't need any further interaction with either the seller or Adobe.

My latest query is this: I have been running CS3 alongside CS6 for a while now, just to be sure it works as it should. I have now been through the uninstallation process to remove CS3 but there are still files in my applications folder relating to CS3 Illustrator, Photoshop and Creative Suite. I have had a look at Adobe help pages, downloaded a cleaner tool, used it, but the files still remain.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to what I should do next in order to remove the remaining CS3 files safely and completely, without compromising CS6?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The simplest solution of course is to leave the remaining CS3 files "as is" unless they are either taking up aa good deal of space or are casing problems otherwise. If you really want/need to remove those files, here's what I would do assuming of course you know where ll of the CS3 files are:

1. Clone your current drive using cloning software (SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc). When done boot from the clone and make sure that you can boot from it and that CS works. A Time Machine backup would work but would be messier if yo9u need to restore later.
2. Remove the remaining CS3 files from your drive. Test to make sure things are working as they should. If all is well you're done. If all is not well complete step 3.
3. Boot form your clone and restore everything from the clone to your drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.