2009 iMac - Need to force integrated gfx

Reaction score
My dedicated GPU is dead. I'm going to be buying a new iMac, but I'd like to try and get into the existing one and get a bit of work done, and wipe everything before hand.

I can switch to my integrated graphics by booting into safe mode. Is there a way to force that change in normal boot?

I'm running a 2009 iMac with OSX 10.6.2. I found gfxCardStatus, but there's a compatibility issue there with my iMac, so doesn't seem like that'll work for me.

Am I boned? Or is there a solution that one of you fine folks can help me with.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Some confusion with your post: An iMac has only one graphics chipset. I suspect you may be referring to a MacBook Pro that has two graphic chipsets: One integrated, one discrete. The gfxCardStatus utility will not work for an iMac. Please re-post and clarify exactly what it is you're trying to do on what Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm, well I took the iMac to the Genius Bar, gave them the serial number off my unit. They pulled it up and said that the iMac has both dedicated, and integrated graphics.

This is most certainly not a MacBook Pro, it's an iMac. Does it sound like the Genuius Bar tech I spoke to is out to lunch?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Someone's out to lunch because no iMac that I know of has two graphic chipsets. You can look up the specs for yourself at www.EveryMac.com or use the free Mactracker. The fact that gfxCardStatus doesn't work ought to also tell you something. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hmm, well I took the iMac to the Genius Bar, gave them the serial number off my unit. They pulled it up and said that the iMac has both dedicated, and integrated graphics.

This is most certainly not a MacBook Pro, it's an iMac. Does it sound like the Genuius Bar tech I spoke to is out to lunch?

Maybe give us the exact specs of this iMac...and then we can address that model specifically.

One main reason why iMac's don't have dual GPU (integrated & dedicated)...is power. Some laptops have dual GPU's...integrated GPU uses less power (better battery life)...and dedicated GPU (more powerful)...which also uses more energy (less battery runtime). In the iMac's case...it's plugged into the wall (no battery)...so power is not a problem.:)

Now you will find on some lower-end (entry level) iMac's...they may only have the less powerful & less expensive integrated graphics (like you might find in a laptop). And then mid & upper level iMac's have dedicated graphics hardware (more powerful & more expensive). But you usually don't find iMac's with both integrated & dedicated graphics.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never seen an iMac, Not even the G5 iMacs with 2 graphic cards. There were a few entry level and educational iMacs with JUST integrated, but never one with both Integrated and discrete. Check Everymac.com and Low End Mac that was posted above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.