• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Snicker snicker...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Haha..and the lack of iPhone 7 headphone jack is fueling talk (rumors perhaps) about the next Macbook Pro also losing its jack. Honestly, in my 3+ years of my rMBP ownership, I don't think I've ever used the headphone jack at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I use my headphone very rarely also, but my monitor has the jack, which is where my speakers are plugged into.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I said before.... Craig has too much time on his hands. :p

OP
cradom
Reaction score
You think it's bad now wait til I retire...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My Bose speakers plug into my MBP's jack whenever it's at my desk. Of course, with my Thunderbolt dock, it's mostly redundant, but still nice to be able to plug in a pair of headphones (or any other kind of output device) on the fly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My headphones are only employed (by her) when my 12-year-old goddaughter is playing some horrible noisy game on my MBP!:Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use my headphone jack occasionally to monitor audio when I am capturing church service. I can't have the speakers turned up as that would be a huge distraction. I guess I could go to a bluetooth set.....

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Lisa What programs are you generally running when monitoring the audio? Sometimes when I do that I notice quite alas. Not a problem for most things but definitely a distraction if I happen to be doing something like trying to monitor audio in the chats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Lisa What programs are you generally running when monitoring the audio? Sometimes when I do that I notice quite alas. Not a problem for most things but definitely a distraction if I happen to be doing something like trying to monitor audio in the chats.

I am capturing the service using Premiere Pro. All I monitor it for is to make sure the volume okay and that they have not accidentally muted my feed (it has happened....) I do quick checks as I am also running a switcher that changes camera feeds to the various screens through out the church.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update. When I thought about it a bit I figured that might be the case.

I tried monitoring the chat volume a few times but the lags distracting if I was speaking. I now resort to checking the settings ar the begin ng and trying not to vary my position from the mic much at all during the show itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not noticed any issues with volume on the chats. I only get to watch the archives as I am at work during them but they sound fine to me. I get the lag though because I have that also but since I am only doing brief checks it is not that bad.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa. I sometimes don't have time to check after the show. I usually take a recording app before the show and use the play-thru function to listen while I do a mic check. Today I thought about using the free app Line In from Rogue Amoeba to check the levels without having to launch a record a full-blown recording application. That seems to work and although having the audio in my year is a bit distracting, there really isn't a lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Don't know anything of the program you're using, but the lag, or latency you hear is common to all programs, in my recording world using pro tools and logic, it's always the result of the mic signal going into your computer, running through a software, and it spits it back out to you through the headphones/monitor. It's fine if you're playing back something already recorded, you won't be aware of it, but if you're speaking/playing an instrument it's impossible to not have it drive you nuts. In recording, when I hit record I mute that part, and use the path that doesn't run through the program which causes the latency. you have to monitor through strict hardware only. Not sure if that's possible with your setup, but I have to use the headphone monitor section of the interface I use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.