Moving from Android to iPhone

Reaction score
I have just bought my better half a no-SIM iPhone 5S to replace her xPeria. How is she to transfer her material from the xPeria to the iPhone using the same SIM-card ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What "material" are you referring to?

By the way (hopefully you know). A smart phones SIM card holds info that allows the phone to connect to specific cellular networks. If the "material" you are referring to is video's, photo's, contact information, music, etc....this is not done via a SIM card.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
When I try to set up her iPhone, a menu asks whether to transfer to it contacts, messages, &c. from (1) iCloud, (2) iTunes or (3) an Android device. I choose the latter, and see a message that I must first download an application to the Android device that will make this possible.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I choose the latter, and see a message that I must first download an application to the Android device that will make this possible.

Ok. Did you download this application to the Android device (old xPeria phone)?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Not yet ! What I want to know is whether I shall need to put the SIM-card back into the xPeria to do it, or may I achieve the result by inserting a new SIM-card into the xPerial

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SIM card is not necessary for this. The SIM card only contains the infomation needed to communicate with cellular networks (as I mentioned in post #2).:)

Both of these phones can be connected to a WiFi network...and the transferring can be done this way.

- Nick

p.s. By the way. The "material" that is being transferred could be done via the cellular network...but to do this...each phone would need it's own SIM card...and both phones would need to be able to connect to the cell network. But...unless both phones have unlimited data plans...why waste data (that costs money) by transferring the "material" via a cellular network when transferring the "material" via WiFi is free and much faster!

Bottom line. Transfer the "material" via WiFi.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, I shall try to tackle this this evening, and shall let you know how I fare.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I believe some carriers will still do this for you though it has been a while since I had to ask.

Here's something that I didn't know which might help. Apple has built an app that installs on the Android device and facilitates transfer to the iPone.

There's also a Mac app called Android File Transfer that transfers the Android stuff to your Mac. I've used it to salvage data for friends and move the data to my Mac so I can burn a disc. It should be possible to then move stuff to the iPhone though it might take some work figuring out where the files are in all those folders.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you all, what I had not realised is that the SIM-card is necessary only to use a network, and that the whole exercise could perfectly well be accomplished without one. All is now well !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all, what I had not realised is that the SIM-card is necessary only to use a network, and that the whole exercise could perfectly well be accomplished without one. All is now well !

Congrats. Now you're a cellphone/smartphone file transfer expert!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the successful transfer. Just for the benefit of others reading the thread what did you use/how did you do it?

OP
P
Reaction score
I downloaded 'Move to iOS' to the xPeria, and followed the steps dictated by that application. It was not entirely straightforward, because part of the process was that the application sent an SMS containing a 6-digit code to the iPhone. We live in a part of the country where the network-signal is fragmentary, so there was a long pause while I waited for the SMS to arrive, but I got there in the end. My thanks to everyone that has helped me with this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats. Glad you were successful...and it wasn't too painful!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never had to use that app so it's good to know that it works. Maybe some of my Android using buddies can be persuaded to switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.