Networking problem

M

mytoyo

Hi,
I just bought my very first apple computer. G4 dual 1.25 and i'm loving every minute of it, well every minute that it works :)
I currently have a network setup with 3 other pc's and initially i'm just trying to connect to the internet. I went inisde the Network preference and made sure it was set to "Automatic" and "Ether Net" with the TCP/IP settings set to DCHP and i still dont have internet connection. I also rebooted, Now i notice the router's (linksys) light for the mac's port is not on. I powered the router on and off and all the lights come on for the other machines. I also wanted to set it up with the network so I enabled file sharing and still no luck.

Any help will be appreciated.
-Mabel

OP
M

mytoyo

I also switched ports and the light doesnt come on. Will it come on only when it has connectivity....i know that the pc's light come on so i'm guessing the xp os is always looking for connection......well thanks again in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
mytoyo said:
14 views and no reply :(
Im thinking a bad ethernet card is your problem. When you plug the PC into the same router port does it light up. Try running the hardware test from the install disk.

OP
M

mytoyo

IronMac said:
Im thinking a bad ethernet card is your problem. When you plug the PC into the same router port does it light up. Try running the hardware test from the install disk.

ok will do, i asked the previous owner and he told me that he never used the ethernet card. He only used his airport card to connect from day one.

If it is the ethernet card would this work for a considerable replacement?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-APPLE-1...ryZ80061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Swap patch cords with one of the other computers too just to rule out a bad cable. Solid wire Cat5 cables are always prone to failure if you move them around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
The Hardware test has always worked for me in the past.

OP
M

mytoyo

dimagex20 said:
The Hardware test has always worked for me in the past.

Man i'm getting so frustrated :(

The previous owner didnt supply me with the AHT cd. He only gave me the Software Install and Restore CD.

I tested out the the machine with a different CAT5 cable and still no light shows up on the router. I also read in a previous post that a member had his pins bent from the previous owner, turn out he adjusted one of the pins from the port and everything worked fine.

But unfortunately thats not the case, all my pins are lined up.

Would the Network Utility give me any hints? In the drop down menu from the Info Tab I see Ethernet Interface (en1),(fw),(en0)

-thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
mytoyo said:
Man i'm getting so frustrated :(

The previous owner didnt supply me with the AHT cd. He only gave me the Software Install and Restore CD.

I tested out the the machine with a different CAT5 cable and still no light shows up on the router. I also read in a previous post that a member had his pins bent from the previous owner, turn out he adjusted one of the pins from the port and everything worked fine.

But unfortunately thats not the case, all my pins are lined up.

Would the Network Utility give me any hints? In the drop down menu from the Info Tab I see Ethernet Interface (en1),(fw),(en0)

-thanks again
What model is your machine? Try and boot from the Install CD while holding down the option key. You can also look around to see if you can find yourself a AHT CD for your model.
In Network Utility you could try to Ping your router and see if you get a response. I doubt that will work tho.

OP
M

mytoyo

thanks for your help IronMac but I decide to buy a wireless router at a near compusa store, fired it up and was online in no time. I even did a little more digging for file sharing and found joelandfaith site. Great site and in no time i was sharing files. I'm a 3d guy so troubleshooting is cool to learn new things but i have to get to work on projects, sometimes its best to shell out cash to resolve a problem that takes to long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I was just about to suggest a wireless router. They work very well, and will leave a smile on your face for quite some time. Hope it lasts for quite some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.